News Story: Frank's Nursery goes bankrupt

Page 2 of 2
opined:

Ordinarily, you are right. If I see an entire nursery full of crap, I walk around just in case, but if I see a clearance section where all I have to do is cut the thing back and water/fertilize the poor thing, I will may times buy excellent bargains for 24 cents. I bought many trees this way, also. However, I agree with the nurturing for years. Nothing I buy is that down the road of perdition.

if you wait too long that is true. the trick is to be there when they come off the truck. then they can't screw them up.
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Are you sure you aren't a used car salesman, Henny?
Obviously, your definition of "excellent" is on a par much lower than the actual definition of excellent. Well grown garbage plants are still garbage regardless of how you try to pass them off.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Actually, their extremely high pricing is probablty more to blame.
On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:34:58 GMT, "Cereus-validus"

I have mixed feelings about this. Frank's is pretty much where I got my start at gardening, and I still remember the joy I got out of my first plantings and containers.
As I've gotten more experienced I've spread out beyond Franks, as well as Lowe's and Home Depot. There are a lot of fine local nurseries, some with excellent prices. I still stop in Franks, Lowe's and HD, but more for potting soil or other implements, and I still like to walk around the plant section for the occasional sale.
Lowe does seem to be the best at indoor plants in my area, S.Jersey. I haven't found any other place else that has any selection or quality. Franks has long ago gone downhill in that department, though I'd still call it second best there. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. Not that I really need any more indoor plants mind you.
The spring bulbs section is what I enjoyed the most about Franks. Most local nurseries seem to have a meager section. Its almost as if bulbs were an afterthought. Franks had a nice layout, and I always wanted to plant everything I saw. Come to think of it, where am I going to buy my Jan Reus tulips this year? I'll have to look online.
Swyck
I know what you're saying, Swyck. I knew I could always get fresh evergreen garlands and wreaths for the holiday season at a decent price at Frank's, now I'm not sure where I'll find them. Pam
BasketWeaver wrote:

While I was out shopping this afternoon I stopped by my local Frank's to see if they were having their going out of business sale yet. There was a notice on the door about the Chapter 11 filing and signs all over the store that said ALL SALES FINAL, NO RETURNS but there was nothing about an upcoming going out of business sale. I asked one of the employees when that sale is going to happen and she said, "we haven't been told yet but we are guessing that is will start by the end of the month".
It is sad to see so many people losing their jobs (over a dozen in that store, some have already left).
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

I also have mixed feeling about them going out of business but quite frankly my local Frank's has got so bad in the last couple of years I knew it was going to happen. Several times last Christmas and again this spring I had serious problems with service at Frank's. When I relayed those problems and concerns to the manager he did not seem to care or take any action to correct the problem. After that (early June), I stopped shopping there and apparently so did a lot of other people.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

happen.>>>
Amen!
opined:
happen.

Home Depot seems to do ok without watering. I always rescue some plant out of that place. I hate the Home Depot "Nursery" Colleen Zone 5 CT
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GrampysGurl) wrote:

You hate 'em yet you make it profitable for them by going there to "rescue" plants. As long as people don't care enough about the poor care to stop buying the plants, HD will never have any reason to improve their methods.
I try never to buy anything from Lowes or Home Depot unless I really want somethning common as dirty, that has not been there so long it is getting unhealthy, & which is WAY cheaper than at my favorite nurseries. If it does not meet all these criteria, I support local independent nurseries.
Though to be fair, our local Lowes takes great good care of their plants. Walmart just lets them die & I no longer even bother to drive into their strip mall for anyhthing whatsoever, but I still do sometimes get things from Lowes or Home Depot. Home Depot is a mixed bag; the stuff they put outside dries up rapidly, the stuff indoors they manage to keep watered. But even if these places did all of it rather better, I'd still rather support independent nurseries that have better & broader stocks to choose from. At independent nurseries, I've gotten so many perks & freebies & assistance on so many occasions by being a familiar face with a cart of plants, but at chains there's no getting to know even the workers let alone the distant owners.
-paghat the ratgirl