Newbie watering q

My fuchsia's (in a hanging container) care says "keep moist but do not overwater". So should I water it like a half-gallon per day? I can't understand how you could overwater with the drain holes in the bottom. Thanks.
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 03:21:05 -0500, Frohike wrote:

You should water it only if it needs it, not daily perse. Stick your finger in in the soil an inch or so. Damp? Don't water. Fingertip dry? Water.

It's easier than you think. Some people water daily or more often and kill the plants due to root rot.
Don't water on a schedual, water only if needed.
Frohike wrote:

Even with adequate drainage you can overwater, if you are running water through the dirt it is washing out nutrients.
Janine

Aha! That's it---the nutrients! Thanks, Janine and Tom. :)