Newbie questions about pruning privet hedge

Page 3 of 5

Joe
What is your real name? Do you think you are hiding? I have given your comment on which I assume you are suggesting to people on this list to use a baseball bat on me, some extended thought. You now have 101% of my attention. I am not a person that takes threats and such suggestions lightly. I do believe in non-violent direct action. I now consider you as a threat. Now lets see how a person responds when threatened. Trees always respond when threatened. They survive for many many years, many longer than humans under the right condition, as a sugar maple that can have parenchyma cells live for up to 150 years if things go right.
You have chosen to take this news group to a higher level. One of threats of violence and bodily harm. It was your decision. A poor one if you ask me.
Don't you think I should survive like a tree and respond? If not please explain why not. You have 3 days or I will turn this over to a higher power, meaning a higher power than you.
-- Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Consulting Forester & Tree Expert http://home.ccil.org/~treeman and www.treedictionary.com Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.
Hi folks - first-time poster here with some pretty simple questions I'm<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; sure, so please be kind!<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I grew up in a hot and dry climate and so I'm pretty clueless when it<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; comes to caring for and hedges.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; At the place where my front garden where it meets the pavement, I<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; planted a row of privet hedge plants last September.&nbsp; They are spaced<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; out about 18 inches apart and are about five feet tall and still quite<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; young, but have begun to sprout lots of little leaves over the past few<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; weeks (of course).<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; As they have now started to grow, I have some questions about how to<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; prune the plants so that they grow into the shape I want.&nbsp; Can you help<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; me?<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I want the plants to grow about 6-8 inches taller than they are now,<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; and I also want them to "flesh out" a bit more.&nbsp; Little sprouts are<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; starting to stick up.&nbsp; Should I trim them now or should I let them grow<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; more?<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; How often should I trim privet hedge during the growing season?<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Should I trim the sides as well?<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Many thanks for your help and advice!<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; -- <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; ajax<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;</FONT></BODY></HTML> ------=
Please go back to drinking whatever it is you drink, boy. And be very quiet.
Some people drink blood. Some people put blood on thier pancakes. At least when sap flows from a tree they call it bleeding. Do you have a sense of humor?
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

comment on which I assume you are suggesting to people on this list to use a baseball bat on me, some extended thought. You now have 101% of my attention. I am not a person that takes threats and such suggestions lightly. I do believe in non-violent direct action. I now consider you as a threat. Now lets see how a person responds when threatened. Trees always respond when threatened. They survive for many many years, many longer than humans under the right condition, as a sugar maple that can have parenchyma cells live for up to 150 years if things go right.

explain why not. You have 3 days or I will turn this over to a higher power, meaning a higher power than you. This is not an HTML friendly place. Get a grip. Nobody seriously threatened you. People here are pretty sure you have some problems, and no sense of humor.

A sense of humor requires a brain.
Oh, so you think its a joke. I got news for you. For starters. I have been shot. I have stabbed. I have had broken fingers. I have been shot at with accuracy. The list goes on and on. Now you tell me the reason why I should not respond is because you say it is a joke. I think, but I don't think so. This is a news group. People thrive on the news. Like I said, so you clearly understand without confusion, I believe in non-violent direct action.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Again, three days. Non-violent direct action.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

not enough accuracy apparently.....

because you keep opening your mouth no doubt.
Boy you are really intelligent.
maybe you could explain the optimum fertility levels for trees. Or right an essay on what logging is. Even better yet, where is your dictionary. kzin? How do you define yourself? Explain who you are.
You obviously have al lot to say, but understand very little about trees. I thought this was a gardening group. You seem to be power hungry.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Their is another genius waiting to be discovered.
How great thou art!
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

You've been shot, stabbed, had fingers broken and shot with accuracy? Wow. What were those instances I wonder.
If you do not know that, obviously it is none of your business. Either is the treatment of trees and associates. That goes for you and Don Staples as well.
Again what do you call yourself? What are you?
--
[...]

Pretty obviously symptomless's notions of treating a hedge row like a tree is as usual worthless advice, and that lame generic page he spams newsgroups about wouldn't be much use even if the questioner HAD been asking how to trim privet trees.
Nevertheless, Ligustrum vulgare or lucidum can grow to thirty feet in height, really fast growing aggressive trees and environmentally harmful in some places, having in New Zealand for example begun to displace entire forest ecosystems.
In the long run they're actually ROTTEN "shrubs" for hedging because they want to be big, and when aggressively trimmed to force them to stay small won't flower much if at all and get uglier and ugler as the branches thicken into trucks with fewer and fewer leaves. Common choices yeah, but crap, and really ought to be banned before naturalizing in even more forests.
The Chinese privet is a bit easier to keep hedged if one must try it but even that would rather be eight or twelve feet tall. And the Londense privet (Ligustrum vulgare lodense) and Nanum privet (L. japonicum) supposed to stay naturally small (under six feet even if never trimmed and easily kept at four). But those aren't usually the "garden departments" cheapies and its the common privet that gets poorly chosen for the purpose.
-paghat the ratgirl

--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com.html
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 13:29:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@paghat.com (paghat) wrote:

Oh I fully agree. I have the Chinese privet and they are humongous, both tall and wide. Their only redeeming quality is that the birds love to nest in them. Mine are not hedged so look natural and even weeping. Anyway, we are in total agreement about the entire post, disinformation on the URL, etc. Just silly already.
Privet is a woody plant that most likely compartmentalize wounds. They surely don't heal wounds. I would bet you could get a doughnut orf callus result if you pruned at the right target.
All options should be on the table.
While I am at it here are some common issues with woody plants and their associates for the newbie.
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case Sensitive.
Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/T/tree_planting.html
Improper Mulching - http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html
Improper Pruning http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning
Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry) http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html
Tree Farming and Related Problems http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND /
Troubles in the Rhizosphere http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html
Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Consulting Forester & Tree Expert www.treedictionary.com Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

I am thinking you have some issues.
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 21:20:49 -0400, "symplastless"