Newbie questions about potted roses

Two daughters want to grow roses in pots. None of us have experience. What do we need to know? We've already been reading and asking, but I hoped that we'd get some good advice here, too.

They've bought bareroot varieties 'Oklahoma' and 'CL Golden Showers'.

Some particular questions:

  • What size pot? I've got different answers to this question already.

  • Can we successfully add other plants to the rose pots, or would they hinder the roses? And if we can, which other plants?

  • Do we really need the specialty soil labelled for roses, or can generic potting soil work?

  • Anything else that we likely don't know.

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker

Madison, Wisconsin, US

USDA zone 4/5 AHS heat zone 4/5 Sunset zone 43

"typical" last frost date: May 13

Reply to
shoemakerted

There are some roses that work better in pots than others. The large Grandiflora is a bad choice for pots because it is huge. There are tons of fairie roses that grow great in pots and bloom profusely. A simple

12 inch pot will do and you do NOT have to have special rose soil. But, roses grow best in sandy loam, so if you have only top soil, throw some sand and peat in with the mix in the pot. The type of pot you get depends on how fast it will dry out. I am in Texas, which means my roses in pots would barely last a day in the summer if I had them in terracotta pots. To keep water in, they have to be plastic or glazed pottery. But, as you are in Wisconsin, your probably would be more in the blackspot/mildew family, I am guessing.

Does that help?

Reply to
morninglori

Yes! Thank you.

Ted Shoemaker

Reply to
shoemakerted

Hi Ted

You did not mention the type of roses. You can grow roses in a regular potting soil. Add a bit more peat moss. Get some "5 Gallon" containers from the nursery and they will be large enough to grow your roses. You can try to grow other plants like Ivy or Vinca but the roses might crowd them out.

Enjoy your roses and if you have any more questions about gardening you can Email at: snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca.

Derryl Killan Horticulturalist

Reply to
Derryl Killan

I agree. Miniature roses in pots are a natural and I've had good success with them in pots even as small as 6" to 8" -- 12" would be very ample and you wouldn't need to work so hard with watering and fertilizing. One advantage to the small pots is that they are rather handy to take indoors during the cold months where they will thrive in a light stand and can be rotated into the house every few weeks.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Voege