Newbie question!

Hi there I am from UK - I have had my compost bin for about 9 months , as it is still quite cold here my compost isnt going down- I have tried commercial accelerants (Garotta) but it hasnt really made any diffrence, any ideas please? ]\ I looked it up on google and one suggestion was human urine!is this correct? TIA

Reply to
aron

I wouldn't bother with buying any commercial products trying to speed things up.

But, yes, urine is good for your compost. It is usually sterile, full of nutrients, and free.

Reply to
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

Kinky!!!

As if going down on your compost isn't bad enough, you want to piss on it too?

That must be some really wild garden party.

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

Can you describe what you're putting into the compost on a regular basis? Here (upstate NY), the temp hasn't been more than ten degrees over freezing (except for a few days in the range of 50), and the compost bin that was full in early November is now reduced by half.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

your probably putting in the wrong stuff or not cutting it up etc

Try this site for some info or just google for compost

colin.day

Thanks guys- I am putting in shredded newspaper, and general vegtable peelings, fruit rinds, egg shells, leftover rice.

Reply to
aron

Lose the egg shells, and maybe the rice, if it's come into contact with meat or dairy products.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

will do ,thanks for the sage advice

Reply to
aron

9 months is not very long to wait. I let mine decompose for 2 years before i consider using it. Be patient and it will eventually decompose. If you keep adding fresh materials, this will inhibit decomosition. If you have room start another pile while the first is decomposing. Turning your pile over from top to bottom is perhaps what most people do to speed things up. You could use a pitchfork. A lot of composters have side-by-side bins to accomodate these things.

Your ingredients are lacking in nitrogen which greatly speeds the rate of decomposition. Sources of nitrogen include animal manures and lawn clippings. A high nitrogen fertilizer will also work.

Reply to
lwhaley

I gave it a good poke(no innuendos please!) steam came out and the pile dropped by about a third so hopefully this will be all. Thanks for all the help though folks- will come back soon

Reply to
aron

On 26 Feb 2006 11:18:43 -0800, aron plucked a feather from Fawkes, dipped it into the ink well and then scribed:

I wouldn't dream of it. :-)

Good.

Bye, see you soon.

Reply to
Erik Vastmasd

some people are absolutely particular what they put in their compost. Others, like me, chuck almost anything in (although not bones or cheese as the dogs and cats get those and some types of weeds as these go in the rubbish bin) and leave it long enough to break down. I add continuously to my compost rather than doing it in batches. I leave it for at least a year and the bastard reduces in size nicely.

rob

Reply to
George.com

It seems to be working now, hopefully the weather will pick up and heat the inside a bit more- failing that ill just have to piss on it ;-)

Reply to
aron