Newbie but plant-stupid learning by trial and error :)

Thought I'd do a quick intro. I've lived in Mobile, AL for 3 1/2 years now but we just bought a house where I have the terrifying task of landscaping when I am from western Nebraska where nothing grows and my husband is from Illinois and as clueless as I am about southern Alabama.
I have several questions but have decided rather than putting them all in one post I'd ask them separately to keep it simple.
Looks like a great group! There aren't any trolls who would intentionally kill my plants around here I should know about are there? :)
amy

Excellent plan. First answer: check what neighbors and other locals have growing. If every other house had masses of azaleas in bloom recently, it's a good bet azaleas are...a good bet. If you like azaleas, that is.
Frogleg wrote:

Ironically, I went a little crazy with the azaelas. I LOVE azaelas! I didn't realize how big they are going to get though. :) I planted 8 -- 5 of them BIG ones. I know I can keep them pruned if I prune RIGHT after they bloom though. I was kind of wondering WHAT I was thinking after the first week the azaelas bloomed.....our little neighborhood was giving me a headache! :)
amy
Error and trial is the best way to learn. The lessons sink in better than anything you read, which usually goes in one eye and out somewhere else.

http://www.panhandle.unl.edu/arboretum/arborbro.htm http://citnews.unl.edu/florasearch/region.html
and
http://www.alabamawildflower.org / http://www.lsuagcenter.com/nav/publications/landscapingpubs.asp http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=site:www%2Elsuagcenter % 2Ecom+figs
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=site % 3Awww.lsuagcenter.com+released+%7C+%22new+cultivars%22&btnG=Search
www.gulftel.com/jdwyer/camellia_links.htm Alabama Experiment Station http://www.ag.auburn.edu/aaes/communications/publicationslist.html
Alabama Extension Service http://www.aces.edu/pubs / Georgia Experiment Station http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubs/ES-pubs.htm
Georgia Extension Service http://www.ces.uga.edu/ces/pubs.html Florida http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu / Missouri http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplor /
http://www.m-w.com/maps/china2.html china has continental climate, but climate comparisons could be tricky, since so cent china seems to be high elevation. very unlike so cent USA.
http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/help/contemporary.html http://www.nationalgeographic.com/resources/ngo/maps/view/samericm.html S america continent narrows toward the south, but i'm guessing that among s American climates, buenos aires/paraguay/urugauy is closest climate to s cent US.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8 &q=+louisiana+argentina+uruguay+flowers+evergreen+%7C+deciduous+% 7C+native+%7C+species+
ex.: http://www.rareplants.co.uk/zephyran/species.htm
~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Designed%20Gardens%22%20Alabama%20%7C % 20Louisiana%20%7C%20Mississippi&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=dw
http://www.hal-pc.org/~trobb/mastgar.html