Newbie but plant-stupid learning by trial and error :)

Thought I'd do a quick intro. I've lived in Mobile, AL for 3 1/2 years now but we just bought a house where I have the terrifying task of landscaping when I am from western Nebraska where nothing grows and my husband is from Illinois and as clueless as I am about southern Alabama.

I have several questions but have decided rather than putting them all in one post I'd ask them separately to keep it simple.

Looks like a great group! There aren't any trolls who would intentionally kill my plants around here I should know about are there? :)

amy

Reply to
Amy D

Excellent plan. First answer: check what neighbors and other locals have growing. If every other house had masses of azaleas in bloom recently, it's a good bet azaleas are...a good bet. If you like azaleas, that is.

Reply to
Frogleg

Ironically, I went a little crazy with the azaelas. I LOVE azaelas! I didn't realize how big they are going to get though. :) I planted 8 --

5 of them BIG ones. I know I can keep them pruned if I prune RIGHT after they bloom though. I was kind of wondering WHAT I was thinking after the first week the azaelas bloomed.....our little neighborhood was giving me a headache! :)

amy

Reply to
Amy D

Error and trial is the best way to learn. The lessons sink in better than anything you read, which usually goes in one eye and out somewhere else.

Reply to
dps

Amy D in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

and

Alabama Experiment Station
Extension Service
Experiment Station
Extension Service
direct :-)

has continental climate, but climate comparisons could be tricky, since so cent china seems to be high elevation. very unlike so cent USA.

america continent narrows toward the south, but i'm guessing that among s American climates, buenos aires/paraguay/urugauy is closest climate to s cent US.

?sourceid=navclient&q=%22Louisiana+Society+for+Horticulture%22

Gardñ