Newbie & a question about leaf mold??

Hell everyone, I just found this board and have a question for yo

already.

I have lots of leaves on the ground from last year, can I still pu them in bags and make leaf mold?? Would it be of good quality? Or woul I be waisting my time

-- NanD1065

Reply to
NanD1065

Thank you so much for the answer. Now if the weather gets nice enoug to get outside! Shouldn't complain, we need the rain.

AND, I ment "HELLO" in my first message!

-- NanD1065

Reply to
NanD1065

NanD1065 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk:

Yes, leaf mold (composted leaves, rotted leaves, mulched leaves, it's all the same thing). IHMO, oak leaves make the best leaf mold.

Ye Olde Rotted Oak Læ?

Find a stand of oak trees under which a thick layer of last years' leaves have fallen. I like to simply suck up several trash bags full using a lawnmower with bag attached. (Have a snappy comeback for passersby inquiring, "Why are you mowing the forest?") Depending upon the mower, you may have to dump the bag and suck them up again to get the leaf particles suitably shredded. Dump the now shredded oak leaves into black plastic garbage bags. If the leaves are dry, spray water into the bag until they're moderately damp. Tie off the bag, and poke several tens of holes into it (I just use my car key or chopstick). Place the bags where they will receive all day sunlight. Every once in awhile, give the bags a good swift kick!

In six to ten weeks, you will have lovely dark rotted oak leaf.

Reply to
David Bockman

We needed rain, but now it could stop for a week or so!! I do have few oak, but this is mainly Maple. I'll have to find more Oak trees Think there are some out in our woods. Going mushroom hunting in th morning so will look for some

-- NanD1065

Reply to
NanD1065