New Zealand Flax/trimming it back?

Hello

I have a couple of New Zealand Flax's and they were here when we moved here about 3 years ago....I think they were planted a little before we moved into here...I like them but the long leaves/stalks are starting to droop and i guess its past time i trimmed it back....Any ideas onto how much i ought to trim it....Just the dropping leaves or pretty much cut back the whole thing. Any ideas.....Might be a dumb question...But i am new to this. Thanks

Reply to
Don Williams

This is what the Yates Garden Guide (first published 1895) has to say about flaxes in relation to dividing them. "Flaxes are propogated by division. Lift and divide the rhizome in late autumn. Each piece must bear one terminal fan and have the leaves shortened by one half...Plants should be divided every three to four years. Remove faded, damaged and dead leaves regularly."

so you can cut down by up to 1/2. They do best divided (though many people don't bother) and benefit from a periodic prune.

rob

Reply to
George.com

I really have no answer for you on this. What I was wondering is.... would it be possible to get some seeds from you? Also what type New Zealand flax is it? Thank you.

Reply to
Willy