New to gardening

Hello,

My wife and I are in our mid-thirties and never gardened. We have a 1 year old and are now starting to eat MORE healthy by learning to cook from scratch (buying cook books, will be grinding our own meat from butcher soon, things like that). So right now I'm focusing on this cooking business ;-)

I'm toying with the idea of gardening and just found out about Square Foot Gardening.

I just want to be able to plant some.. oh... tomatoes... cucumbers... maybe some herbs.. just to give this gardening thing a shot.

We both work full time 5 days a week. We live in an end rowhome with some trees at the further end of our yard, so i'm not sure if we get

6-8 hours of sun at wherever on the property, i guess i'll have to pay attention to that.

But would anyone recommend Square Foot Gardening for a complete newbie like me?

Not sure if I have time to devote to gardening this year (not sure how much time during the week/weekend you need) but just trying to get a grasp on this and see if it's something I should embark on this year or next with everything else going on in our lives.

Thanks! Paul

Reply to
meatnub

What does your dad do? Same for grand Dad? If you are on your own their mistakes will not matter. I'd look at a local community college catalogue after looking about the neighborhood for examples of gardening progress. It helps us if you ID your general area. Everything else going on indicates that maybe a reduction of things to do is in order. Two working and a new child is pretty tough especially if extended family is far away. Perhaps reading about garden stuff is cool meanwhile get a compost bin goin.

Best!!!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

meatnub wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a23g2000hsc.googlegr oups.com:

gee, Paul, are you following me around? ;) seriously, i think this year you should spend some time looking at where & when there is sun in your yard (you can see this on the weekends) & where you would like to place your raised beds/square foot gardens and yes, i do recommend them! they're especially useful if you don't want to spend all your time weeding & watering. in fact, if you email me your address, i'll send you one of my square foot garden books (i have 2 for some reason). use enigma at mv dot com. evil.net works but the spam filter sometimes grabs my good mail. if i remember, i might toss in a cookbook for you too ;) lee

Reply to
enigma

My father was not a gardener, nor my mother, though she did cook. BTW I live in SouthEastern Pennsylvania, USA.

Yeah, extended family is not close so it's just me and the wife and our son. I probably am getting in over my head thinking about gardening right now, but just wanted to get an idea of what people think about this Square Foot Gardening for a complete beginner like me. I'll continue reading I guess.

Reply to
meatnub

snipped-for-privacy@a23g2000hsc.googlegr

haha too funny! I saw someone mention square foot gardening (was it you?) in a thread over in rec.cooking I believe so I googled it, checked out Mel's website, and ended up here.

Thanks, Yeah I definitely need to figure out when & where the sun is in our yard. That's the first baby step I need to take. I have no idea about watering either, or weeding. LOL so yeah baby steps here.

I just might take you up on that offer! You are too kind! I've already got 3 cookbooks coming though! (TJOC, BHG, Betty Crocker).

Paul

Reply to
meatnub

g'day paul,

welcome to gardening.

anyhow we invite you to take a look at our garden pic's on our site there may be some ideas there for you?

On Tue, 20 May 2008 10:10:57 -0700 (PDT), meatnub wrote: snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

len gardener