New to gardening

Hello Gardening Experts!
I am new to gardening and am aiming to try and turn my garden into little more ecologically friendly. So I have a couple of questions:
1) I am looking for the contaption I can put food waste into and i naturally degrades into the garden soil, does anyone know what I a talking about? 2) I am looking at getting a small green house and want to grow som 'easy' veg/fruit, please can you give me some suggestions as to wha and when I should be planting? I am trying to get my kids involved a much as I can
Thanks in advance
-- Raving Monkey
On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 12:19:38 +0000, Raving Monkey

Happy New Year, RM, and welcome to the wonderful world of gardening.
First, let me compliment you on wanting to involve your children in this most healthful, most "spiritual" of activities! Plus, you get to eat real food that has not sat in a truck or train for 'n' period.
Now:
1. The "contraption" is a composter. You put leaves, grass, any garden waste into it, as well as table scraps EXCLUDING meat, fat, grease, bones. You cover the composter so the contents will "cook", and keep it moist. After several months, you scoop out of the bottom the most wonderful black, crumbly stuff that you mix with garden soil when transplanting, and/or put around your existing plants.
There are many models of composters, ranging from fancy rotating drums to simple heaps. You can get tons of info on the Web, and also at your neighborhood garden nursery or big box homeowners store.
2. To get input on this question, you need to say where you are located. On most garden groups, people put their "zone"; for example I am in So.Calif coastal, USDA (dept of agriculture) Zone 8, and Western Garden Book Zone 24.
We look forward to heating about your location.
(Remember that even in the most extreme climates, your greenhouse idea can be made to work. Even with little to no sunshine, grow-lights can be used.)
Persephone
Raving Monkey wrote:

found this link; http://www.thinkorganic.info /
I own an Envirocycle I think I bought it from www.yardiac.com . I have used 'tea' from the base twice so far and look forward to using the compost (kitchen scraps, shredded bills/computer paper, potting soil from old/dead plants, fall leaves and garden trimmings) this spring.
There's a LOT of composting info on the web.
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

I am a passionate advocate of raised garden beds. Just type the phrase "raised garden beds" into Google "images" and you will see pictures of almost every type of raised garden. Also, go to: http://greatgardens.org/article1.html/ and you can read an article entitled "A Perspective on Raised Gardens" to see some of the advantages of such gardens. Jay
Raving Monkey wrote:

Compost bin? Compost crock for the kitchen? Check out Gardener's Supply [http://www.gardeners.com ] under composting.

It would take a book to answer that ;-) so I will recommend the excellent Greenhouse Gardener's Companion by Shane Smith [http://www.greenhousegarden.com /].
You might want to check out some of the gardening for kids Web sites for ideas:
NGAs Kids Gardening http://www.kidsgardening.com /
Aggie Horticulture's KinderGarden http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/kindergarden /
-- Karen
The Garden Gate http://garden-gate.prairienet.org =================================================================="If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ^and cats -- Cicero ==================================================================On the Web since 1994 Forbes Best of Web 2002 and 2004