New Lawn - It's Alive!!!!!

Hi Everyone,
Great advice from you all so far. I really appreciate this group.
My newly seeded lawn is about a week old now. It has germinated and there are lovely little fine green hairs all over the place now. I'm so excited!!!
My question is... how do I know when to give it the first mow? The seedlines are about 1 inch tall now, and the soil is quite wet due to recent rain and watering. I'd be afraid to walk on it now, for fear of crushing the poor things - and certainly not with a lawn mower.
So do I wait another week? two? month?
Any help would be appreciated.
Sally

I prefer 2-3 months or more, but it depends on the species. The area I planted last October got its first mowing in late April; mixed fescues, PNW.
Kay
Sally wrote:

=========Wait until it reaches about 4'', and mow back to a height of 3''. I actually had the "grass police" give me a warning as my newly planted lawn was too high for the village standards. Please!
I had the grass growing for about 5 weeks before I was forced to mow it, although it was over the 3'' mark, so it was time anyway.