New, large fast growing ... weed?

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/detail?.dir=/2055&.dnm af.jpg&.src=ph
Found this foot tall...weed? Seems to have magically appeared in about 2 days. I just pulled bolted spinach from the bed on Saturday and Monday evening and never noticed this foot-tall, foot-wide plant was there.
Unless it is a volunteer of somethign I can't recognize.
Anybody recognize the critter? DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, <1 mile off L.I.Sound 3rd year gardener http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/album?.dir=/2055&.src=ph
DigitalVinyl wrote:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/detail?.dir=/2055&.dnm af.jpg&.src=ph
Kind of looks like a pokeweed I had in my yard last year. If it is, you want to get rid of it. It's a huge, nasty plant that will take over your neighborhood. Make sure to get all of the root or it'll come right back.
Pat

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/detail?.dir=/2055&.dnm af.jpg&.src=ph
I don't think it is poke weed. Poke weed is a nuisance for me, but I don't find it too hard to control. I just keep cutting or stepping it down. Eventually it dies.
The plant in the picture look very similar to brugmansia. Maybe it is a datura. I would let it go and see what happens. http://www.americanbrugmansia-daturasociety.org /

I did grow a datura (flower points downward--they get confused with brughmansia a lot). Although this lacks the furry/slky feel of the leaves. Also my datura had a hairy stem.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, <1 mile off L.I.Sound 3rd year gardener http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/album?.dir=/2055&.src=ph
Found this foot tall...weed? Seems to have magically appeared in about<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; 2 days. I just pulled bolted spinach from the bed on Saturday and<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Monday evening and never noticed this foot-tall, foot-wide&nbsp; plant was<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; there.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Unless it is a volunteer of somethign I can't recognize.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;I don't think it is poke weed.&nbsp; Poke weed is a nuisance for me, but I don't<BR>&gt;&gt;find it too hard to control.&nbsp; I just keep cutting or stepping it down.<BR>&gt;&gt;Eventually it dies.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;The plant in the picture look very similar to brugmansia.&nbsp; Maybe it is a<BR>&gt;&gt;datura.&nbsp; I would let it go and see what happens.<BR>&gt;&gt;http://www.americanbrugmansia-daturasociety.org /<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I did grow a datura (flower points downward--they get confused with<BR>&gt; brughmansia a lot).&nbsp; Although this lacks the furry/slky feel of the<BR>&gt; leaves. Also my datura had a hairy stem. <BR><FONT color=#ff0000>Oops, you've got them backwards.&nbsp; Datura is an annual and sometimes called "Angel Trumpet."&nbsp; The flowers grow upward (toward the angels, I suppose it means).&nbsp; Brugmansia is a tender perennial and the flowers hang down like bells.&nbsp; </FONT></FONT></P> <P><FONT face=Arial color=#ff0000 size=2>Suzy O, Zone 5, Wisconsin</FONT></P> <P><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)<BR>&gt; Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, &lt;1 mile off L.I.Sound<BR>&gt; 3rd year gardener<BR>&gt; </FONT><A href="http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/album?.dir=/2055&amp ;.src=ph"><FONT face=Arial size=2>http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/album?.dir=/2055&amp ;.src=ph</FONT></A></P></BODY></HTML>
------=

Could this be an avocado plant?! Certainly has a tropical look to the leaves.
I think I may have tossed a avocado pit or two into compost sometime and mixed it into the soil last fall.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, <1 mile off L.I.Sound 3rd year gardener http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/album?.dir=/2055&.src=ph
you are right, it is an avocado. I have two as houseplants and I was wondering why it looked so familiar.
DigitalVinyl wrote:

Don't think it is an Avocado. An Avocado would not grow that much in 2 days.

USDA Zone 8
Definitely not an avocado.
Avocados aren't fleshy with shiny leaves.
Its "Poke Weed", Phytolacca americana.

Looks like a milkweed to me. Also looks like something I'd dig out and throw in a garbage bag.
Dick
Dick Adams wrote:

I also believe it is milkweed. A string trimmer makes short work of it.
You go ahead and believe that, Stubby, but you would still be completely wrong.
Fifty lashes with a string trimmer for you.

Milkweeds (Asclepias) have their leaves in pairs or sometimes whorled, not alternate, Dickhead.
Throw it out, maybe. Poke Weed is edible.

Phytolacca americana, better known as "Poke Weed".
The fruit is a berry and birds drop the seeds everywhere in their poop.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/detail?.dir=/2055&.dnm af.jpg&.src=ph

Checked out some photos online, looks like a match. Even found one showing the tiny leaves sprouting from the crotches. Although almost all the pictures show red stems. The seedling pictures I found look like the smaller weeds I am pulling out in bunches out back. It was a new one this year... hadn't seen that seedling type before.
I can't be bothered with cooking it for greens--have to cook them as they are poisonous raw and/or when mature. Out it comes.
Thanks to all...

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, <1 mile off L.I.Sound 3rd year gardener http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/album?.dir=/2055&.src=ph

If you all had listened to me, I told you at beginning it was pokeweed. <G> It sprouted a huge tree thingy in my yard last year and I've been seeing it sprouting here and there this year. It's a pain in the butt!
Pat

Yes, Pat, you were right. :-)
Although I find it interesting that different weeds show up each year. THis is a first for pokeweed in three years. I have pulled over a dozen of a tree...the seed looks like a chestnut (five fingered light green leaves with red blotches in the leaf). The squirrels have apparently buried them in all of my vegetable beds. I know cause they were sifted with a fine wire mesh and there is no way I missed all these 1 inch round nuts. This didn't show up the two previous years--maybe the tree has a cycle.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, <1 mile off L.I.Sound 3rd year gardener http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/album?.dir=/2055&.src=ph
DigitalVinyl wrote:

Damn squirrels. What did somebody on here call them? Lawn rats? I think that's appropriate. <G>
Pat
It has the appearance of a pokeweed seedling, if it were returning from a perennial rootstock the stems would be fatter and somewhat red.
I'm guessing this is the mother PokeWeed plant-- doesn't have a red stem as much as a purple-ish one. Almost looks like it is purple underneath a green skin.
It has a thick and very fleshy, smooth stalk. This one is just starting with little white flowers and is about 2 1/2 feet tall.
I spotted this last year and wondered what the heck it was. It was around 4-5 feet tall when I think a gardener whacked it down.
http://members.aol.com/digitalvinyl66/PokeWeed-mother1.jpg