New house with hard pack soil

Page 1 of 2
Hello all, I've been in my new house for about two years. It is a typical builders lot with hard pack soil. When it rains, and/or I run the sprinkler system, most of the water just seems to run off. I am going to plug aerate in the fall, but I was hoping to do something now. Perhaps spike aerate. I need to get the water down the to roots of the grass.
Advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Zone 6 rhode island.

lot
most
fall,
get
Why not plug aerate now?

What *is* plug aeration?

builders
system,
plug aeration = core aeration

the
need
Inserting something as the hole is made? In my fantasy, it's a plug of peat moss, but that's probably silly.

peat
No, nothjing is inserted. Rather, a "core" of soil is removed, acutally thousands of them. The idea is to open up the soil so air and water can penetrate easier. If anything *is* inserted, it is usually a topdressing of sand.
I was lead to believe that doing a plug aerate now during the summer was a bad thing. I did alot of reading on the web etc, and most recommended waiting until the fall. If I do it now, would I run into problems ??
This is the first time I have done this, so I am unsure of what is involved (other than renting the plug aerator)

involved
I can't think of any reason it would cause problems. I have done it in both the spring and the fall. We are only a couple weeks into summer. I'm curious, what did your research give as reasons not to core aerate now?

in both

I'm
now?
I guess that is due to plug aerate will break quite some grass root and rhizome. It's good to do anything that will cause physical damage(pruning, dividing...) to plant during the dormant period(late fall to early spring).
Regards, Wong
-- Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Some would say that the best time to annoy the grass is right now, when it's growing like crazy, but not during the hottest part of summer when the plant is stressed.

root
period(late
when it's

the plant

It is best to do pruning, transplant... in late fall due to: 1. In dormancy, plant can endure more. e.g. apply herbicide will be less effective at this period. 2. Plant do accumulate starch(energy, carbon), before go into dormancy, so it will regrow better than doing this at other period.

when it's

When something put all it energy for growing, it will not have much energy(starch) reserve for regrow once the growed part fail/remove.

Agree, job(pruning, plug aerate...) should not do when plant are under stress, they don't have enough vitality(starch) to recover.
Regards, Wong
-- Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

rather hot now. plus we're still close to summer solstice (longest days). but plants might be 'programmed' to grow faster now than later.
btw, does anyone know whether those pluggers handle rock or pebble infested soils?

Actually, my grass is about to go into a summer dormancy as the temperature rise and precipitation ceases. Fall and spring are the times that grass grows like mad here, fall being the best time to renovate or plant a new lawn.

temperature
Some people said grass are under stress at summer, if so, then it is not the right time to do this.
Part of grass get used by having supplement water supply from other part through rhizome, once grass rhizome are broken, that part of grass that depend on other may die under the hot sun.

new
I believe the best time to do this are after the grass accumulate starch and go to dormant, but before the grass start to regrow.
Regards, Wong
-- Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

I still would like to see something besides speculation about why one should not aerate during the summer.

should
OK. Tell us where you live. That'll help.

I did a search and the information I found says that the timing of aeration depends on the type of grass you have. Some lawns should be aerated in the spring while other should be aerated in the summer. I live in Cincinnati, and according to the information posted that has little to do with the timing since I could have either type of grass. http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1200.htm

aeration
in the

I believe those aerate at summer are cold weather grass, and those aerated at spring are warm weather grass. They are aerated while in dormancy.
This is the last guess, no more. :-)
Sorry about the speculation.
Regards, Wong
-- Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m
if it's like my lawn, the little plugger thingies won't penetrate the soil when its dry (IE: the middle of summer). Waiting till fall or spring allows the rains to soften the soil. Also it's been my experience that the plugs themselves stick around a lot longer in the summer than in the fall (again a moisture thing). SOme people may not like looking at them for so long.

allows
You could water a few days before aerating. Also, I have been known to rake-up the plugs in areas that I want to keep tidy.