New Hose Question

I just put away my hoses for the winter and notice that one of them is shot to the point of being trashed. Now, or come Spring, I will be in the market for a new one. Interested in a good one for the long haul (the one I just trashed I've had for 15+ years) so I don't mind spending some extra money. What should I look for in a good garden hose and does anyone have brand recomendations? Steve Ignots
On 23 Nov 2003 04:42:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (SIgnots) wrote:

This is a good question and I do not have a specific anwser. I do not recommend a cheap hose, though. A look at Consumer's Reports shows the various properties of quality hoses (brass ends, non-kinking, easy coiling, no stretching, etc.) I have a Swan that is on its 12th year of heavy use. A hose willl last a lot longer with proper care. Do not throw out the old hose--there are many uses for old pieces of garden hose--for garden, garage, and work shop.
I like a quality hose too, sorry I'm not familiar with brand names, but I have found a linear marking on the hose is helpful because I make a lot of turns watering pots along pathways and tend to twist the hose. Winding the hose back on the reel is easier when it is fairly straight.
Regards,
Hal
On 23 Nov 2003 04:42:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (SIgnots) wrote:

A brand name, Gilmore, is a very good product and they do have a high end hose which doesn't kink, will not twist or wear out. It too has a lifetime warranty. I always tape my receipt to the cardboard packaging and I put that in the shed. That way, whenever I do need to call up the warranty, I have all the information.

If you have a Sam's Club near you, or any good garden center, they will both sell hoses made completely out of rubber. Hoses made out of rubber always come with a lifetime warranty IIRC. The one I bought at Sam's last year has a lifetime warranty and it is rubber, heavy duty, and 120 feet long. I paid about 20 dollars. That's an exceptional price.
So, any solid rubber, or mostly rubber hose is worth every cent.
On 23 Nov 2003 04:42:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (SIgnots) opined:

Thanks to all who responded. I will fish my old hose out of the trash and take a peak at Sam's Club when they get their spring stuff out. I think my 'other' hose is rubber and it's doing fine. Thanks also for the tip on CR. Steve Ignots
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (SIgnots) wrote in message

Sams Club? I thought you wanted a quality hose?
On 23 Nov 2003 16:39:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com (Beecrofter) opined:

Sam's Club has one of the best hoses on the market. It is all rubber. It has a lifetime warranty. It cost about 20 dollars and is 120 feet long. What part of that is not quality? It is guaranteed not to kink or twist. I've had mine, three actually, for many years and at least one of them is in the full sun all day in Texas heat. None worse for the wear. Not everything from Walmart or Sam's is junk.
I's simple. Buy the most expensive one available.

On 23 Nov 2003 04:42:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (SIgnots) wrote:

not sure of the manufacturer. It should have been called a kink-always. I've never had a hose that is more likely to kink up then this one, at every turn, at every pull, guaranteed. Bought it at Home Depot, and it wasn't cheap. Talk about deceptive advertising.
Swyck