New here, advice needed!!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site, so please be gentle with me! lol.

I'm actually in need of some garden advice. I have a front garden that at the moment is very dull and lacks privacy. From our lounge window it looks out onto the front garden and the public footpath beyond that.

The garden is gravelled and has a rather naff and dated chain link fence to border it. I would like to create a more private garden area, so that when sat in the lounge the footpath is screened. We're not looking to get a fence or anything too high. Say about 4 - 5ft high. I need some advice on what is best to plant? What type of hedge that isn't too costly and is relatively quick to grow?

Many thanks

Caz x

Reply to
Caz Faith

the moment is very dull and lacks privacy. From our lounge window itlooks out onto the front garden and the public footpath beyond that.

to border it. I would like to create a more private garden area,so that when sat in the lounge the footpath is screened. We're notlooking to get a fence or anything too high. Say about 4 - 5ft high. Ineed some advice on what is best to plant? What type of hedge thatisn't too costly and is relatively quick to grow?

Presuming a temperate zone similar to mine, I dislike tidy hedges, but adore mixed hedges. An example would be a mixed set of largeleaf evergreen rhododendrons with different colored flowers timed to bloom serially, placed far enough apart to permit at least one deciduous shrub to go between each big rhody. Something like sun-hardy "Nova Zembla" rhody then a hybrid fothergilla (with early bottlebrush scented flowers, amazing leaf colors in autumn) then a "Lee's Best Purple" rhody then a hybrid Chinese witchhazel (strappy winter flowers, great autumn leaf color), & so on. When the garden is most used it'll be the most private. When half the shrubs drop their leaves in winter it'll still be pretty private but since it's winter doesn't matter if it's less so, nobody's about anyway. My mixed hedge also mixes in evergreen strawberry bush (a dwarf tree actually) & evergreen heavenly bamboo (it's not bamboo), and deciduous serviceberry & twin-berry. The evergreen rhodies were chosen for sun hardiness which leaves a lot of them out, and after about two years they no longer needed much watering, so the entire hedge is low maintence, the other shrubs being even more just-not-fussy than the rhodies.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Caz Faith

Welcome to the list.

I am geared towards trees and their associates. If you are new and have an interest in tree care or the cultivation of trees (arboriculture) I would like to share this link with you.

Two books for starters would be World Wide Pruning Guide and Modern Arboriculture. You may find them in your library or could request them.. Big pictures with a few lines of words. LUCID.

Second, here I address what I see as major and common problems for trees.

Reply to
symplastless

[spam deleted]

Everyone in this group knows this guy is a fraud without training or expertise in the areas he pretends, & "gears loose" better describes him than "geared toward." He is reduced to leaping on unwary newcomers to spam his website and fish for undeserved gratitude or a long-awaited sale of the only book he stockpiled in the basement where they'll remain until a basement flooding finally forces him to throw them away (though likely he'll keep trying to sell them mildewed). Never rely on his advice, it is nearly always either too generic to be helpful, outdated, or wrong from word go, and the real purpose is always to provide umpteen links to his own website and advertising.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

As a fraud my educational background is here: Where is yours?

symplastless

You are the nastiest girl alive.

Reply to
symplastless