new garden question

I ain't hanging out in the garden, leaning on the fence, with rob about, unless I get the corner spot.
Charlie

Yeah, well, I'm scratching me arse and trying to figure if I've been directly, or indirectly, insulted or what.
(Bloody cheeky often obtuse bloke rob is, he is)
Charlie, who just this minute remembered the cider laid down and is going for an opener and bottle this very minute...
"Charlie" wrote in message

why, does chuck take the odd bung?
Does George like his kungpow spicy? Why would George steal from the Yankees? George is getting upset! Worlds are colliding. It's all just slipping away, and you're letting it happen.
rob

Hmmm.....first you have me scratchin' me butt, and now I'm scratchin' me head!
Ah well, nothing better to do on a hot Sat. nite than try and translate Robspeak into something poor old addled Charlie can unnerstan'.
Charlie
<Charlie> wrote in message

I think George just might have had a few too many cleansing ales when he was writing his post as I too haven't got a clue what he's on about and I can generally understand Kiwi posts :-)))).
In article

I don't think that is possible. Alcohol frees the body from the tyranny of the mind. Can't ever be too free.

The medium IS the massage.
--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common
denominator in our exploitative economic system.

Gees, the reference is just staring you in the face. If relationship George walks through that door, independent George will die. A George divided against himself cannot stand.
Aw, lets just go back to talking about Chuck being felt in his garden.
rob

Chuck is beginning to feel like a well trodden carpet....
"Charlie" wrote in message

Stop being such a fuss pot charlie. What you do with a bit of crumpet in your grotty garden is your business, none of mine. Not being a wowser of course.
Most of the February cider got bottled yesterday. Looks good, nice n clear and a good smell. Not going to try any for a few more months yet though, give it time to mature well.
rob

Butt of course not.

I bottled in twelve ouncers after a month in secondary and cracked one open last weekend and was pleased with the carbonation, aroma, clarity *and* taste.
Charlie
"Charlie" wrote in message

That seems like only 3 odd months after fermentation? Thats alcoholic territory charlie.
"Chuck is getting drunk". "Chuck likes his cider young".
rob

Thank you for reminding me of something I oft forget, in my desire to be clever, but often find myself in a position of being too cute by half, a quote whose attribute is in question, but valid nonetheless..."Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
You care to give the blade a twist before playground is over, mate?
Have a g'day Charlie
"Charlie" wrote in message

sorry Charlie, you have lost me. Way too subtle.
I'm not game to try it yet even after 6 months, don't want to be dissappointed, rather be pleasantly surprised. Am thinking maybe of taking a bottle down to a local park & getting the opinion of the resident drunks.
rob
ps got a load of home brew kit from a mate who knew I was making cider. Included was an oldish stout brew mixture. I made that up and set it a few weeks. My near neighbour is a semi-alcoholic. I offered him a few bottles. He gratefully received. That was 2-3 months ago. A couple weeks back neighbour was weaving his way home down the street after an sunday afternoon at the boozer. I was walking the dogs. As we passed I offered him some more booze. His reply, "naaaah, thanks mate, I'mmmm (long drawl) ok, ha ha ha". Couldn't even give the stuff to near alcoholics. Didn't think it was that bad & I dislike the stuff.
rob
<Charlie> wrote in message> As far as the alfalfa, one needs to find the right balance perhaps. I

Charlie I often use lucerne (alfalfa) straw as a mulch but I notice in another post that you refer to alfalfa pellets.
Can you buy lucerne (alfalfa) in bales such as you'd feed to a horse as this stuff is magnificent as a mulch. Or even if you could buy it in the chaff form should also be good. It's ideal for gardens but not for cattle. My old lecturer when I was doing a farm animal production course used to say that feeding lucerne to cows was like feeding chocolate to children.

Do you happen to know when you harvest alfalfa? After reading about it here, I decided to grow it in bare patches. Some is about 18" tall and blooming.
Kate

I'm unable to find small bales locally this year, at least ones that aren't contracted or weedy as hell, and don't feel like driving thirty odd miles for a few bales. Most producers and farmers are now baling in the 1500 lb round bales. A bit unruly to wrestle into my small garden. ;-) I'm using chopped leaves and old moldy straw this year for mulch.
I use alfalfa pellets and meal in potting mix and incorporated in compost and the mulch. Meal sounds like the chaff you mention. Meal is ground alfalfa which has the consistency of, say....hmmmm......wheat germ, and is good for incorporation or as a slurry with water in compost (thanks to catdaddy, gets a heap smokin'), but I find tends to form a crust when used as mulch.
CHalrie

No feed stores that sell in bales? 1500 lbs is a lot to buy all at once. Bales I get must weigh 50 lbs or so.
--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common
denominator in our exploitative economic system.
<Charlie> wrote in message

Chaff is much bigger than wheat germ - more like half the size of a corn flake. I like it because it doesnt' crust up - good for letting the water through but mulches tiny seedlings well without having them disappear below the mulch.
<Charlie> wrote in message

Lazy Cow is another name I'm quite prepared to answer to. I don't see why I should do something if all those tireless wee wrigglers will do a lot of the soil prep for me.

Uhhhh.....yeah....right....*you* may answer to that, but *I* ain't about to call it out. Shit, old Charlie knows how to tread thru a minefield!! ;-))))