New Garden Problem-I think!

I decided to increase my garden this year, so I started another about

200 yards from the first, virtually the same type soil, but full sun and better drainage.

In my old garden I set out 8 tomato plants, they now have small tomatoes and are about waist high (30"). In the new garden I set out

7 different varieties of Heirloom tomatoes, and one variety of Hybrid (Better Boy).

In the new garden, which I set out 2 weeks after the old garden, the plants are from 12 to 18" tall, some with stalks almost as large as yourthumb, and blooming, but they are just not growing upwards. I fertilized and composted the rows, about a week ago I put 1/2 tsp of

10-20-10 fertilizer, still they are bushing out not up.I also have a row of Bell peppers and they are doing virtually the same thing.

Any suggestions on what is missing in the soil. Oh!, there is a total of 68 plants, all doing about the same.

Woops, one more important thing. I treated the new garden with Treflan preeminence 2 weeks before setting out the plants. I only did about 1/2 the recommended application rate.

Thanks for you time-SodB

Reply to
Sodbuster7!

I haven't grown them for years, but I read that you have to pinch out the growth in the joints where it branches out, don't know what it's called. I did that, seemed to do fine, also didn't seem to have many bees that year so tickled the blossoms to pollinate. They would have done better in full sun, but you do what you have to do; they were on the east side of the house which got more sun then.

But you seem to have grown more years than I so should know more than I do about it.

One cherry tomato went crazy and I had to fasten it to the house, it went up to the roof.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

If you planted edible things where there was weed killer, the condition of your plants may be the least of your problems. Did you read the Treflan label? What lead you to believe it was safe around food crops?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Joe, I did my homework on the treflan. It is not a weed killer, it inhibits seeds from sprouting. The label recommended use on tomatoes, peppers and many other edibles. It is widely used by commercial growers and is the active ingredient in "Preen" sold for gardens in Walmart Garder Center. BUT, I do share your concern for harmful chemicals and had I it to do over I would not use it.

Thanks for your post-SodB

Reply to
Sodbuster7!