New 2005 Orchid Species Calendar

It's beautiful, Prem!

Sarah

Reply to
Sarah

I have compiled a 2005 wall calendar featuring my species orchid photography.

is in addition to the FL native orchids calendar posted earlier:

Orchid art, photography, t-shirts, and related products:

prem_s

Wow! what a great way to advertise your products for free!!...

Reply to
Som

I know, next he'll plead innocent that he didn't realize it was advertising, he only wanted to show how neat his calendars are. K Barrett

Reply to
K Barrett

Warning: nondenominational comment ahead: CafePress.com is the same company that Max (remember her) used to make her orchid coffee mugs and cards. It is an interesting business model for people who have pictures that can be put on things like calendars and cards and t-shirts and coffee mugs and shoes horns and teddy bears and soup cans. I still have my "Usual Suspects" mug. I went to cafe press and typed "orchids" into the site search looking for her mugs to see if she was still doing it. There were 100 pages of orchid related products. Some of them looked pretty neat. I saw an "I Love Orchids" license plate holder as I was paging down. :-) and more cards and calendars and mugs than there are orchid species.... :-)

Reply to
Al

Actually, I'll do no such thing...I was indeed advertising the presence of my calendar to people who've seen my orchid photography for a number of years. There's been a long-standing (long before Mr./Ms./Mrs. Barrett showed up) tradition on (at least) rec.gardens.orchids that posting a URL to something new and interesting (like an update to your own plant listing if you're a commercial vendor) is not out-of-bounds. Posting the contents of your plant listing, or posting the details of your orchid-related item (specifications, price, etc.), directly to the nesgroup, on the other hand, would be crossing the line.

Hence, since I did not cross this line on r.g.o, I see no reason to apologize or excuse my actions. Now, if I've violated the charters of the other newsgroups to which I've posted (of which I'm admittedly less aware), then I would gladly offer my sincere apologies for any offense caused.

Reply to
prem_s

I think folks were just pulling your leg, Prem.

You're absolutely right about the long-standing tradition. For the first several years in the existence of my business, posts here stating stuff like "I just added some new plants. Go to the URL below, if you're interested in seeing them." was my ONLY form of advertising, and the participants of this group have always been very supportive.

Reply to
Ray

Prem, My two cents on this subject: I would think that if a person (such as yourself or Ray, for example) who is a valuable participant in this virtual community and has posted many messages that are not just advertisements, chooses to post a brief non-obnoxious ad for their products from time to time, as long as it is orchid related and likely to be of interest to the participants, I don't think there is any problem, and I hope that others feel the same.

What does bother me is if some> > I know, next he'll plead innocent that he didn't realize it was advertising,

Reply to
J Fortuna

I agree w/ Joanna. And, being an artist myself, I'd like to offer counter-encouragement to the comment awhile back, about your calendar being too expensive. It Isn't. Read that a couple of times, and feel free to fluff up and preen. People will always have a tendency to say something is "too pricey" when they personally can't or won't afford it. I'll just be truthful - I'm an artist (jewelry designer), and I can't afford to buy it. I'd love to have your calendars, Prem, and I'd buy them for that price in a heartbeat, but, honestly, I'm cheap. I'd rather buy an orchid in my splurge moment. Keep up the good work and don't let nay-sayers get you down, Murri

PS- To all who think Prem's calendars are too expensive, trot your butts down to Barnes and Noble, and see just how much they are charging for calendars, many of them far inferior in photographic talent. Then shut your face and give him the complements he deserves, instead of stupid complaints.

Lady Blacksword

Lady Blacksword wrote: ...trot your butts ...Murri

too cute by half

Reply to
Frank ess

Reply to
Lady Blacksword

Murri, I was surprised by Frank's reply to your post, too. But then I re-read your post, and you did write "trot your butts". And it is a phrase that is too cute by half. And no, this is not a pickup line! :-) Joanna

Reply to
J Fortuna

Prem never comes here except to flog his stupid wares, so put that in your pipe and smoke it MURRI.

K Barrett

Reply to
K Barrett

Reply to
Frank ess

Perhaps you chose that insult because you have something smoking in -your- pipe? Prem spends 90% of his NG time sharing his knowledge and photography of native Florida orchids. I haven't seen you being near so selfless. In fact, you rarely share any knowledge, mostly just very infrequent photos and snide side-notes. Oh, and since we had to mention "flogging", you spend an awful lot of time "flogging" your ego, and "morals". Maybe some of us ARE interested in Prem's "stupid wares." Quit jeering those who give a lot more to this community than you do. Murri

advertisements,

Reply to
Lady Blacksword
*grin* Sorry, I tend to type the way I speak when I'm ticked off, and I was avoiding using "a*ses". But then, one man's figure of speech, is another man's bellylaugh. (My apologies to R.A.H. for slaughtering his quote in the name of conversation) Glad to know it's not a pick-up line. Murri
Reply to
Lady Blacksword

Reply to
Frank ess

Since I think some apologies are called for, I will start:

My apologies to rec.gardens and alt.binaries.pictures.gardens for continuing this thread in all four groups -- I did not realize until a moment ago that this thread went to 4 groups.

Most of the participants thus far have been regulars in rec.gardens.orchids and alt.binaries.pictures.orchids (but I don't know how many or how few of us hang in the other groups as well). Since I do not frequent the other groups, I would not have replied to all groups if I had realized before that all four groups were receiving this thread.

This is my last post to this thread.

Joanna

Reply to
J Fortuna

I didn't realize there was cross posting till just now when Joanna said something. I likewise apologize. Murri

rec.gardens.orchids

Reply to
Lady Blacksword

It was certainly better than "Trundle your buns."

J. Del Col

Reply to
J. Del Col