NEIGHBORS STEREO destroys serenty of the garden

The original poster said already they attempted that, and failed.

Sameer

Reply to
Snooze

I can tolerate some noise, but no, I don't much care for heavy bass music myself. I had neighbors who played Antrhax and their erratic beat that penetrated my windows/walls/and overrode my tv in the front of my house..they were behind my house to the side and on the next street. The beat *literally* made my heart beat irregularly!

I think you, and all the neighbors should get together in a co-ordinated effort and each time this person start playing music too loudly too long and those closest to him, all turn their speakers to the windows or outside even better and in unison, turn yours up as loud as you can with a wide variety of raucous music that will all clash and drown him out. When he shuts his off, you shut yours off. When he turns his on, y'all turn yours on. I think he'll get the message it's not just YOU and perhaps may get the message. Depending on the lack of maturity present, it could turn into a stereo system war, or it'll work. But as long as he thinks it's just you, he probably never will.

I have an anal retentive neighbor who is bothered by the fact that I have two older (77 and 81) cars that I don't actually drive much, since I'm physically unable to do so now, but I have to keep one going so someone else can drive me to the doc in one of them. I need a low vehicle to get in and out of and they all have pickups or tiny cars .. and I'm far from tiny. Both are licensed,the one I drive is insured, so both are legal. He went so far as to bitch to the city about them. I saw someone with a clipboard in front of the house looking at a new addition's to the household vehicle. She went out and talked to him.. and found what was going on. Her vehicle is a recent purchase from out of state and she's waiting for her title before she can buy plates. Well they thought it was illegal and I guess it just bunched this guy's butt up tight, He's a Rich too, and he couldn't stand it and called the city's code enforcement and the guy saw they were legal, and in fact had just gone to the hospital the day before to have blood work, roomie had just gone somewhere and come back in hers. Inspector said it sounded like someone was just being poopy.

Funny things bother people. I'm certain he hates my yard too as it has no lawn, I had 5' and 6' tall cosmos last year. I also planted raspberries in the yard last year, so this year there will be berry plants out there and he won't like that either. Thing is he's the neighbor's boyfriend and whenever they get married they're going to sell out and move and see my house as an eyesore sucking their property values down. Funny thing is, they didn't mind a bit when they moved in, as they paid less. LOL

Thing is, they're letting a trash walnut tree grow under the fence.. their fence. And the paint is peeling from their trim and the wood is starting to show moisture damage. That tree will eventually grow up into the side of the house and damage it, plus it's poisoning my grapes, so if they don't kill it, I will.

They know I'm unable to do anything out there, and I guess the guy is doubly irritated by anything my direction. But he sure ain't offering any kind of help. But I guess if he continues worrying about this place I'll point out things he would be better served worrying about on his side of the fence.

If I were younger and still able to actively garden >Dear Mad.

Reply to
Janice

In my town, the laws are such that the police cannot do anything about "disturbing the police" type of violations as the law says the officers have no peace to be disturbed. It is up to those who are being disturbed to be willing to file a complaint.

Now, the city code enforcement folks are a different story. If there are measurable codes being broken, they can an will issue tickets.

So, if you can measure the noise and document it. Get your camcorder out, do a little documentary, Talk about the problem, go out with the meter turn it on, record the reading. Turn on a tape recorder tape it.. talk about it, take a reading.. but the video tape is better, turn on the date/time stamp if it has one. Record something from tv at that point on in the background as you prepare to go out that backs up the date..like cnn or news or something that shows a date/time if you bring up the channel/date/time description as to what the program you're watching is. Anything to establish the time and day other than the date/time on the cam corder as they can say it was doctored.. that and the tv show showing you bringing up the ID from cable or satellite if you have either.. is just another thing. Documentations .. more than one. Calling the weather report recording showing you dial it and hold up the receiver to the mic.. whatever it takes. Establish the date and time, record what you hear inside, outside, record the decibel meter, and do it repeatedly to back up your complaints that it's frequent and illegally loud, and redocument it over time .. 8 a.m. 8:30, 9:00, 10:00 a.m. etc keep showing it's still going on for long periods of time, and happens over days, weeks, not just an exceptional situation.

Documentation, documentation, documentation.. and a willingness to sign a complaint if you don't have city code enforcement that carries more of a punch. If you don't have the laws you want, then approach the city council, mayor's office etc. Just keep in mind, you too can be caught in the web. Make sure YOU are violating no city codes when you call, as there are many rules we all break all the time because they're not enforced. Here it's against city code to have garbage cans out more than 24 hours before and after pickup, and that's ANYWHERE they are visible. Lawnmowers cannot be out unless being used, they have to be in a shed with the garbage cans along with any yard rakes, shovels,etc. Your hoses can't be out if not in use. You can't have anything planted in a row, to act as a screen or barrier more than 1 foot above grade, around your property line you can have plants that form a barrier/fence/hedge no more than 3' tall if solid,

4' tall if there are spaces between them. You cannot plant these plants where the perceived property lines are either, but where the highway district's easement is, which is 5' in from the sidewalk in my neighborhood. Everyone's fences are out further than that here, some have taller hedges, but there were here before the city arrived .

So, find out what the rules are and make sure you're not violating any of them or it can blow back in your face before it's over.

Janice

Reply to
Janice

Yup, he said he thought he had the right to play whatever he wanted as long as it was not at night. That sort of takes the fun out of weeding and listening to the birds and feeling the sunlight

rich (the original poster)

Reply to
Rich

Unfortunately he is like me, he likes alot of different kinds of music but seems to want more stuff in the Cher vein to play outdoors. Personally I like everything from classical to electronic to Roaring

20's........well no, maybe thats not true....... I try to avoid country music....not because its bad music but because when I spent 4 years commuting many years ago and every day some guy blasted his boombox tuned to the country station for a 1 hour trip each way........every weekday...........for 4 years.........didn't stop until someone threw it out the bus window (back when you could OPEN bus windows .) I felt sorry for him because he was retarded (can you say that anymore or do you have to say intellectually challenged?) and his music was all he had. But since then Ic annot stand country music (and my indoor plants love Mozart)

I think I buried this in another post. Has anyone tried TREE GUARD (bitter spray to 'guard' against deer) seems it killed foliage on my leyland cypress and junipers.

rich

Reply to
Rich

Having been there and tried that with two former neighbors, I can attest that it only works if the neighbor IS a reasonable adult.

You can try, but if you have any suspicions about a negative reaction then I would not personally attempt it. But then, I'm a bit gun shy after my former experiences.

Reply to
Betsy

A fifth idea: hang a lot of wind chimes. They drive most people except the owners crazy. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

Reply to
madgardener

**************************** I only WISH this were true.........you cannot hear windchimes much more than 50', I have over 40 of them throughout the garden including a 6' bass chime that while loud when you stand near it, cannot be heard from my neighbors yard (I checked).

rich

Reply to
Rich

Oh ok, my fault for not paying attention. If it were me, I would speak to him one more time, and clearly, firmly, but in a non-hostile way spell out that he has forced an escalation. Tell him you don't *want* to get the authorities involved, that you'd much rather come to a mutually agreeable arrangement.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Like, maybe, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and half of Sunday, you can play music. The other days I can garden in peace :-)

Reply to
tmtresh

I don't know what is wrong with people these days. Is it getting worse and worse? I mean, America and American people seem to be civilized, but in a barbaric way. Isn't anyone left who actually has respect for others' wishes or anyone left with a modicum of decency? Boggling.

Reply to
escapee

I agree with you, and there are some great teachers out there. Part of the problem is parents who don't want the responsibility of teaching thier kids because the kids interfere with thier lifestyle or they just plain don't care. Fortunately some kid learn good manners and politeness and compassion inspite of thier parents. There are 6 teachers, 1 ex-superintendent of schools (my dad), and several professors and even a few owners of private schools in my family.

Reply to
Shell

Well I'm 52, always been fat, so it's rare that I come across people who *are* decent, mature, and considerate ;-) For the most part though, there have always been people who are nice, some who are jerks, obnoxious, and then dangerous. Always have been, always will be. There are just more people now, and the more crowded together they get, the worse they behave it seems. They don't talk with one another except to shout epithets at one another in some ways, and when they go out on the street, it's like everyone is trying to "get over" on one another. What I've seen from the current generation .. they're trying to emulate the ugly inner city world of drug culture and violence where the life expectancy isn't very long. The (C)RAP craze just spreads the hate. I guess there is some RAP that isn't 100% negative, but I've not heard much of it playing whenever I do hear it, it's not anything nice. LOL

So, nope not a lot of folks who aren't hostile, and since they won't calm down and talk, just continue to make the USA the most litigious country around! ;-)

Janice

Reply to
Janice

Rich wrote in news:kDG0c.7320$6c5.5090 @nwrdny01.gnilink.net:

People using telephone modems will hunt you down, strap you to a post with your garden tools just out of arm's reach and force you to listen to your neighbor's John Tesh's Greatest hits collection.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Janice wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I despise lawyers, so if the OP (Rich?) doesn't go the magistrate route (which shouldn't require any lawyers per so), and if he's upwind, an alternative would be to start gardening with chicken shiiiii ... "manure". But this will pretty much put the ix-nay on any hot bikini girls celebrating in the area.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Salty Thumb wrote in news:kfw1c.39768$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

oh, actually, since you are on Verizon, the news server won't let you post binary attachment to a non-binary group and will give you an error message. Other ISPs may be less restrictive.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Further proof that we are barbaric in disguise. Disguised as civilized.

Reply to
escapee

That's a shame, really.

I watched my neighbor come home tonight at 6:30. Her husband had been home since about 4pm. Yet, she had her 4 year old in tow. In other words, that kid was in daycare since 6:15am this morning, till 6:30pm. I guess it's easier when they say, "oh, she isn't in daycare, she goes to Montessori.

Reply to
escapee

The message from Janice contains these words:

That doesn't make sense. Are you saying decent mature considerate people avoid you?

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough