Need suggestions for shade trellis plant/vine

We're putting in a trellis(?) on the south side of our house in Denver. It's going to cover a patio. We'd like to use some kind of vining plant for this. Here's a shopping list: Denver-sun tolerant, no fruits to attract roosting birds, an open shade. It would also be nice if it were "controllable".
I'm ignorant here so I'm wide open to ideas and your experiences, good or bad.
thanks!
s-a

I don't know about the "open shade" part of your requirements.
But Polygonum auberti might do, aka silver lace vine.
I know of no plant and forget vines that will do the job, all will require some maintainance a few times a year .
On 07/02/2011 08:31 PM, semi-ambivalent wrote:

Hummingbird Trumpet Vine makes a nice cover for a trellis. The vines are thick and strong and grow quickly. Once established are drought tolerant. They also attract a *lot* of Hummingbirds. They are easy to control.
Many types of birds nest in trumpet vines and the seeds are also eaten by birds.
http://www.life123.com/home-garden/plant-guides/climbing-plants/trumpet-vine-a-hummingbird-magnet.shtml
--
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
~Winston Churchill
On 07/03/2011 12:49 PM, Mysterious Traveler wrote:

http://www.life123.com/home-garden/plant-guides/climbing-plants/trumpet-vine-a-hummingbird-magnet.shtml
so HTV might not be what you need after all.
--
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
~Winston Churchill
clematis. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago