need several vine crop ideas for along fence

I have a chain link fence that runs along the south side of our property. I sprayed the grass with roundup, in order to do some sort of slightly raised bed there and grow something. My original thought was something like rhubarb, but then I thought perhaps vine crops?
One section will have purple morning glory, but the rest I think could be various vine crops, such as squash, cucumbers, maybe even a pumpkin?
I've grown some in the past, and had them destroyed by squash vine borers. Another year my gourds were destroyed by downy mildew.
Can anyone suggest varieties of any vine crop that might be resistant to both of these problems? I had heard they were genetically engineering some vine crops that would kill squash vine borer larvae about 4 years ago, but haven't heard yet whether they have successfully incorporated this trait yet.
Thanks!
Ohioguy wrote:

any of the vining or pole beans like scarlet runner beans.
songbird
Ohioguy wrote:

Grapes.
On 5/7/12 4:29 PM, Ohioguy wrote:

Have you considered grapes? There should be some hardy varieties that will do well in Ohio. A properly installed chain link fence should be sturdy enough to support mature grape vines.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
David E. Ross wrote: ...

a few grape vines would be ok, but more than that and you are asking for a lot of work. grapes go in and out of chainlinks which makes shaping/pruning a lot more of a challenge. the cleanup each season means a lot of holdfasts wrapped around the fence. getting the extra vines removed is a task...
experience from 35 yrs ago. ;) wouldn't ever do it again.
songbird