Need perennial that like lots of water

Hi All,
I have an ellipse at the edge of my lawn where I intend to grow perennial flowers. I love Hollyhocks, but the one in the front of the ellipse always die on me from all the water that soaks over from the lawn.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a perennial flower that:
1) likes lots and lots of water, 2) tolerates hot, dry high desert air (Norther Nevada), 3) does not mind lots of sunlight, and 4) will survive the winter (we sometimes get down to 0F)
Many thanks, -T
Todd wrote:

How about lobelia cardinalis?
-Bob
On 11/13/2010 09:50 PM, zxcvbob wrote:

Looked it up on the web and I think you pegged it. I will love the red flowers too.
How do you think it will survive our freezing winters?
Some of the references said "short lived". I wonder how a "perennial" is short lived? I wonder what they are talking about?
Many thanks, -T

Time is relative of course but all perennials have an expected life time; a peach tree may live 30 years, a beechnut tree has a life expectancy of some 300 years, a gingko is expected to live 1,000+. With many perennial flowers what you actually see are new plants, the original parent plant may have kept reproducing for a few years and then dies.
Todd said:

Joe-Pye Weed (Eupatorium purpureum) Ironweed (Vernonia noveboracensis) Swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnata) These all come in white cultivars in addition to the more common pink/purple shades. The Asclepias has a lovely soft vanilla fragrance.
Aconite Buttercup (Ranunculus aconitifolius) White flowered. There are other species of buttercups with yellow flowers that will also tolerate moist/sunny conditions
Meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmaria) White flowers (buds sometimes blushed pink), sort of sweet smelling but a short blooming period, however the foliage out to bloom can be rather attractive (fern-like).
Astilbe is usually considered a shade plant, but will do well in full sun if the site really is consistantly moist -- I had them growing in at my old house, in a very slightly raised bed in the low part of my yard where the water table was high enough that we originally had crayfish burrows showing up in the lawn.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

On 11/14/2010 05:08 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Thank you!
Todd wrote:

i'll second this one. we have some growing in full sun in a low spot they are doing great and look nice. plus you have some variety of colors to pick from.

yw. good luck. :)
songbird
Queen of the Praire. Drop dead gorgeous pink blooms, blooms early, interesting leaves. Molly

Try googling for "Rain Garden" or "Rain Garden plants".
--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)
Dan L wrote:

i would also add to the list yarrows.
songbird

Look for bog plants. I'd also consider Iris's .
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden