Need Peach Recommendation

My winters have occasional night-time frosts but are otherwise mild. I would like a recommendation for a peach suitable for my garden. I want a freestone peach that is good for both eating fresh and cooking.
Peach trees are not long-lived. I just today had a 'Ventura' peach removed because it was well past its prime and no longer grew with any vigor; I had it some 15-20 years. Before that, I had a 'Golden Blush' for about 15 years.
I preferred the 'Golden Blush' but could not find it when the first tree had to be removed. 'Ventura' is okay, but I did not see it in any nursery at the beginning of this year, when bare-root fruit trees were available.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

I tied to remember a name but failed. This site is real close and perhaps a gander.
http://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/plantandpestadvisory/2010/fr072710.pdf
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0JfdP36kI

On 9/22/2010 3:04 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

The varieties with "Haven" in the name were bred right near here where I live - and we have some murderous winter weather. There are many: Hale Haven, Red Haven, etc. Red Haven is frequently recommended for home gardens.
Tony M.
David E. Ross wrote:

We like fragar I don't know if it is available where you are.
David