Need ideas for border shrub

I have a 3/4 acre square lot in Asheville, NC (zone 7 I believe). One section fronts a side street, and I would like to put something in there to kill some of the noise and block the view of the street. Eventually I'm going to put a fence in on our side of the shrubline to contain our pending dog.

Requirements:

1) fairly fast growing if possible 2) thick to provide privacy and noise reduction 3) pretty foliage, berries would be nice

The area is on the southern end of our lot and is mostly exposed. They'd be planted off the side of the road a bit on the top of a slope.

Recommendations please. Cypress? Red tips? I like leyland cypress, but they seem more tree than shrub.

Thanks, Rick

Reply to
rick m

I live north of you in Weaverville.. I would plant Leyland cypress..they really look best as a tree but they can be trimmed to be bush like. They are super fast growers. Red tip phytonia have some kind of fungus that kills them so I would not go for them..Pieris, there are many types, are great shrubs but I think they require some shade and acidic soil.

alice