need help with lawnmower

Next time you take it in, try starting it in front of the super tech to show how you can't start it. Is there a choke on it? If so, try choking it for a couple of cranks and then crank with no or half choke.

Reply to
Douglas F.

Oh, believe me, I already did that. After many pulls I did get it started by pushing it away from me as I yanked. My arm still hurts. I don't think I'd have been able to start it at all if he hadn't already gotten it started. And as soon as I got it home it wouldn't cooperate again--took almost 30 pulls to get it started. Like I said, my arm still hurts.

Reply to
Betsy

"Betsy" wrote in news:9x8Ue.12$ snipped-for-privacy@news.abs.net:

Salty Thumb

Am new to the newgroup, so that's why the tardiness for a reply.

If the engine is flooded, remove the spark plug and air filter. (if the engine valves are in the wrong position, the fuel can't dissipate in the engine) Walk away for about a half hour. Reassemble. Give it a few cranks. If doesn't start, prime per manufacturer's recommendations.

A new spark plug is always the first step with starting problems. Always keep a new one in the garage. If your lawn is a bit dusty, maybe the air filter is the culprit. Clean and oil the filter. Don't use old gas, over a month old including what's in the lawnmower's tank from the last mowing. If you've had a lot of rain and heavy morning fog and dew, could be water in the gas tank from condensation. Check the refill gas container for water droplets. Remove and dump the contents of the gas tank. Wash it out with a few ounces of charcoal lighter fluid. Let it dry for a day. Use a spray drying agent to assure its dry. Reassemble and fill the tank with new, uncontaminated gas.

Reply to
Lil' Dave

Which explains the cross posting, and excessively long un trimmed quotes....

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.

-- Aldo Leopold

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

Thanks, Dave. Much appreciated.