Need help identifying this tree

My neighbor cut down this tree in his yard and I offered to take it off his hands and add to my firewood collection. However, neither of us has any idea as to what kind of tree it is. I took some pictures of the leaves, trunk, and a crossection of the trunk.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76095885@N00 /
The pics remind me of the white dogwood we just took down but I'm certainly no tree aficionado.
-- Tara
Might also want to post this to sci.bio.botany
Would also help if we knew what part of the world you are from.

Sorry about that. I live in Atlanta, Georgia.
Crossposted to sci.bio.botany.
Looks as if it might be a Prunus (cherry.)
M. Reed
Deuteros wrote:

monique wrote:

I can't tell from the photo -- are there very small red "glands" at the base of the leaf stems? That would be the confirmation of it being a Cherry species.
Prunus serotina - "Black cherry" - is common here in Aiken, SC, not far from you. Do you remember anything about its flowers or fruit?
mhagen wrote:

Tough to tell without a closer look at the leaves, but it appears to be some sort of cherry.
There's a site out there that takes you through a set of criteria - bark type, leaf type, tree shape etc., with pictures of types to choose from. Based on your choices it will provide the latin and common name(s) of a tree or trees that meet your selected criteria, as well as info about the characteristics of the tree(s) and photos of that type of tree or trees.
do a google search on "tree identification" and you should find the site.
charlie b
Deuteros wrote:

The leaf looks a lot like beech but the wood - the heart wood - doesn't look like the beech I remember.
--

dadiOH