Need Help Identifying this Strange Plant

I have this a few instances of this weird plant growing in my tree ring in the front yard. Location is Southern New Jersey.

This weird plant is orange in color, and is cellulose construction is more frail but reminiscent of the cellulose construction of styrofoam. It apparently is doing a good job of breaking through the weed block I installed just last year.

When it sprouts, it has some black gooey substance on the top. In full bloom, from a distance, it resembles an upside down carrot. Any ideas? Plant just looks plain evil.

Here are some pics:

jerseycat10

Never mind, I found the answer...

Thanks anyway!

Reply to
jerseycat10

Sounds and looks like some kind of fungus...

Reply to
Mike C#