Need help identifying shrubs

From northeastern Texas....
Once upon a time they were carefully trimmed shrubs or hedges around this house before I bought it. But the house sat empty with little attention for a couple of years. Now they are trying to take over the yard, and I need to research ways to get rid of most of them.
Can anyone tell me what kind of growth this is:
http://pages.suddenlink.net/ken/brush.jpg
Some have little buds, other don't. Otherwise they seem to be the same.
Ken123 wrote:

Looks like some sort of crepe myrtle of which there are probably 50 different varieties. Compare the leaves in this picture http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/lain8.htm to yours and see what you think.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

That might be it...strong resemblance.
Definitely looks like crepe myrtle. We have dozens of them around here. When they bloom, they can be white, red-ish, pink, or purple. They grow pretty fast also. -Rae in NC