Need help identifying a tree...

Hi...

I'm in northeastern Texas, and I have a sapling about three-feet tall growing near a shrub in my yard, and I'd like to know what kind of tree it may become.

I have searched the web exhaustively and have not found a match close enough for me to be certain. I thought perhaps some you lawn and gardening experts might know it on sight:

Ken123

In article , snipped-for-privacy@usa.com says... :) Hi... :) :) I'm in northeastern Texas, and I have a sapling about three-feet tall :) growing near a shrub in my yard, and I'd like to know what kind of tree it :) may become. :) :) I have searched the web exhaustively and have not found a match close enough :) for me to be certain. I thought perhaps some you lawn and gardening experts :) might know it on sight: :) :)

:) Ken :) :) :) :) Sort of looks like box elder. You can look at 5 different trees and find numerous shapes in the leaves that vary a bit.

Lar

I agree with Lar. It looks like boxelder to me too. It is fast growing but doesn't stand up to storms well. Also accussed of harboring boxelder bugs, but I couldn't be sure of that.

sdmg2002

Lar wrote:

Reply to
sdmg2002

Yes, I vote for Box Elder too. Go to Google images and enter Acer negundo

I'm in northeastern Texas, and I have a sapling about three-feet tall growing near a shrub in my yard, and I'd like to know what kind of tree it may become.

I have searched the web exhaustively and have not found a match close enough for me to be certain. I thought perhaps some you lawn and gardening experts might know it on sight:

nonews

Yep, that sure seems to be it! I did a Google Images yesterday and looked at every "tree leaves" picture I could find and didn't see that one. Thanks.

Ken

Reply to
Ken123

In studying tree biology, I found it very interesting that the color of the discolored or chemically altered wood from a wound or injury of the box elder tree, is the same color as its close associate, the so called box elder bug. Rear friendly creatures. here is one of my dissections in my research.

see Discolored Wood.

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr. Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!

fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding. KICK RICK SANTORUM OUT IN 2006!

Reply to
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Ken

Do you have the box elder bugs in Texas?

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr. Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!

John A. Keslick, Jr.

I really don't know. I think this little twiglet is the first boxelder I've seen. I'm sorry to say I really don't know much about trees - not even sure what all of them around the property are! But none of the rest of them seem to be a boxelder.

Ken

Reply to
Ken123

In article , treeman214 @comcast.net says... :) Do you have the box elder bugs in Texas? :) :) :) only in the female tree...also have the red shoulder bug that will be found in an number of other common tree species.

Reply to
Lar

Since this tree was competing with a shrub I didn't want to lose, I tried to transplant it. It didn't work. So now it's on the burn pile. I was very disappointed.

Reply to
Ken123