Need help ID-ing a caterpillar

Does any know of an outstanding site? I have one (actually it is two) I have never seen before on my witch hazel.
It has a red head and "red hunchback" if those traits ring any bells. I'll take a picture and throw myself on someone's mercy to post it - I don't get binary groups.
Cheryl

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/MODELS/index.html
http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il.us/4TH/KKHP/1insects/bugmenu.html
http://www.ent.iastate.edu/imagegallery /
The last url may be the place to start.
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

http://www.whatsthatbug.com /

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 08:03:27 -0400, Cheryl Isaak

A good little book to have:
Peterson First Guide to Caterpillars of North America by Amy Bartlett Wright
Paperback: 128 pages Publisher: Houghton Mifflin; 2Rev Ed edition (May 15, 1998) Language: English ISBN-10: 0395911842 ISBN-13: 978-0395911846 Product Dimensions: 7.1 x 3.7 x 0.4 inches Price:    $5.95
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Short and sweet book that is easy to thumb through and look at the pictures/drawings. There are some larger, more in depth books but this one isn't bad for the money (yes I have one and it gets used :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

I may nab that
Cheryl

Check for best pricing at www.fetchbook.info which searches through hundreds of online book stores for the best available price.
It's a red humped caterpillar - I found the Princeton Guide to Caterpillars at the library. It doesn't even become a pretty butterfly but a rather drab moth.... Thanks everyone for your help! C
On 8/31/07 8:03 AM, in article C2FD7BCF.6DE5A% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net,

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:38:02 -0400, Cheryl Isaak

Hi Cheryl,
That is a relatively new book and is on my wish list :) It isn't all that expensive either. Just shy of $20 via Amazon.
The small Peterson book has been around for awhile now and used to be about the only decent reference available for caterpillars. It was recommended to me by a respected Naturalist (at least respected by me :).
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

And there are too few respectable people around these days ;)
I've wish listed as well....
Cheryl
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

The caterpillars of "Hairstreak butterflies" come in various colors, but are described as slug shaped (hunch backed?)
http://www.hiltonpond.org/images/CaterpillarGreen03.jpg
this is not the color of yours, but possibly the same shape?
Lar
On 8/31/07 7:04 PM, in article 46d89e6e$0$19628$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com,