Natural Insect Repellants

Janet Baraclough expounded:

From

While pyrethrum flowers are not grown commercially in the United States, some of the Compositae (daisies, marigolds, etc.) in U.S. gardens probably produce these compounds.

Probably is hardly definitive. In all other searches I found references to marigolds being used for repellent properties, but not because they produce pyrethrins. It's a very thin link if there's one at all; it's hardly worth mentioning.

Reply to
Ann

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

The oils are contained in the under developed seed casings, which are found in the flower head. The strength of the pyrethrum used will be more than likely under 1%. Which allows it to be used around mammals, amphibians, birds etc.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

The message from Ann contains these words:

If you would care to read it, you will find that the research crops of Compositae such as marigolds etc (leaves and stems), WERE found to be a source of the same compound. Research crops are grown, and harvested, in controlled conditions, not gardens. Garden plants were not examined in the laboratory. Therefore, the research report can only suggest, that the same plants grown in gardens, will PROBABLY contain the same compounds that were found in the research-crops.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Reply to