Natural Insect Repellants

Page 3 of 3
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 18:12:46 -0400, "Paul E. Lehmann"

What insect are you trying to repel?
Foliar spraying with liquid seaweed or also sold under sea kelp has been shown to repel spider mites.
I'd have to know more to give accurate information.
Jangchub wrote:

I am particularly interested in getting rid of Japanese beatles.
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 09:08:03 -0400, "Paul E. Lehmann"

The best thing is to eliminmate the grubs in the soil before they become beetles. The long term solution is to use a product called Milky Spore. It's an organic pathogen which is host specific. OR, the use of beneficial nematodes is also a much faster way to get rid of grubs in the soil. I don't know of anything which would repel Japanese beetles, but I can tell you that if you use foliar sprays of liquid seaweed weekly, the plants will be much healthier and will repel the insects themselves. In general, insects are drawn to unhealthy plants before they are drawn to healthy plants.
Jangchub wrote:

I have heard about the milky spore product but I also heard that you need neighbors who will cooperate and use it also because the beatles do fly and they will just migrate in from nearby. Also the beatles I have eat very healthy plants - roses and young grape shoots - in addition to other things.
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 17:55:28 -0400, "Paul E. Lehmann"

It may be beneficial for you to invest in some Remay fabric to shelter your grape plants till the June bugs are gone. Also, spraying with pepper spray may be useful. Take two or three habernero peppers in a blender with about two cups of water and an entire bulb of garlic. Blend it, strain out the solids. Take the remaining concentrate and put it into and empty gallon jug and fill with water. Use one cup per gallon of spray, but make perfectly sure you strain out all solids or your sprayer nozzle will clog. I use cheesecloth, or I should say I used to use it. Now I am tolerant of insects or animals chewing on things. I don't have a vinyard so I do understand why you'd like your grapes to remain well.
Jangchub wrote:

This sounds like a good thing to try if one had just a few vines but I have over 100 vines. Getting rid of the Japanese beatles is important since they eat the tips of shoots and very young leaves. It just so happens that these are the leaves that are producing most of the photosynthesis at the time of year when the beatles are active.