Natural Insect Repellants

I have a backyard vineyard of about 100 vines. Does anyone know of any plants that are natural insect repellants that I could plant between the vines. I do not need a product I can eat but something that is pretty would be an added bonus.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in news:UPKdnYyRvLTAFpDbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Marigolds are old stand-bys for that kind of thing, the smellier, the better.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

news:UPKdnYyRvLTAFpDbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

There seems to be some dissagreement on this:

Paul E. Lehmann

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:55:16 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

Reply to
Jangchub

What insect are you trying to repel?

Foliar spraying with liquid seaweed or also sold under sea kelp has been shown to repel spider mites.

I'd have to know more to give accurate information.

Reply to
Jangchub

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in news:44qdnXjd9uy8X5DbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

disagreement over it? :)

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Jangchub wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
FragileWarrior

I am particularly interested in getting rid of Japanese beatles.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:20:40 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

Reply to
Jangchub

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:24:07 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior tho'. I hope to master it before I die.

If you don't remember where you heard something why would you pass it on as fact? One thing I'm learning is to not advise based on my own BS, but to advise based on the facts. I believe your heart was in the right place, but I do not think you gave good information regarding this subject.

Not in the way you said they work. They do not repel insects, rather attract them thus farmers use them as catch crops. So, the answer to your last question is no, by no logic do marigolds work under the right conditions to repel insects.

Reply to
Jangchub

The best thing is to eliminmate the grubs in the soil before they become beetles. The long term solution is to use a product called Milky Spore. It's an organic pathogen which is host specific. OR, the use of beneficial nematodes is also a much faster way to get rid of grubs in the soil. I don't know of anything which would repel Japanese beetles, but I can tell you that if you use foliar sprays of liquid seaweed weekly, the plants will be much healthier and will repel the insects themselves. In general, insects are drawn to unhealthy plants before they are drawn to healthy plants.

Reply to
Jangchub

The message from Jangchub contains these words:

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

The message from Jangchub contains these words:

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

The message from Jangchub contains these words:

I can't remember where or when I first heard about photosynthesis, gravity, or chocolate cake. It hardly matters, since they all exist, and were all verified, long before I was born.

HTH

:-)

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Jangchub wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Actually, I said it tongue in cheek. *sigh* The printed word is SUCH a limiting medium.

May all your authoritive advice always be right on the money and may you never, ever, EVER make a mistake. Carry on!

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Reply to
Persephone

Wrong. C. coccineum is NO relation to Tagetes. You are also wrong about it being the "leaves, is the pyrethrum." Pyrethrum come from a Chrysanthamum coccineum plant and it is the crushed flowers where the poison is, not the foliage.

Reply to
Jangchub

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 18:46:59 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

I always make mistakes all day long all the time every day. However, Tagetes and pyrethrum have absolutely nothing to do with one another.

Reply to
Jangchub

Jangchub wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Isn't arrogance fun?