Mystery Plant

Hello,
Can anyone tell me what this plant could be? It self seeded in my border this year but Ive been unable to find out it's name or preferred growing conditions etc.
http://www.cobwebcottage.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id !&Itemid=1
Thanks in advance.

Looks like some kind of Jimson/Brugmansia variant. Don't carve that in stone, just my unedumicated opinion!!!! Nan

Reminds me of a Datura. Biff
Thanks - Im pretty sure its not Brugmansia / Datura though. The photo may be misleading I think. The flowers are much smaller; 3cm . The foliage does look pretty similar though.
Its probably also worth noting that Im in the north of the UK, and Datura would probably need some nursing here - its unlikely to self seed.
However that sounds a bit negative - thanks for the suggestions. They are appreciated.
snipped-for-privacy@ryerson.ca wrote:

uk.rec.gardening got it -
"The Shoo-fly Plant (Nicandra physaloides), also known as the Apple of Peru, is an annual plant native to Peru. It is the only species in the genus Nicandra. They are known for their property of repelling insects.
Plants grow to 1 metre tall and are vigorous with spreading branches and ovate, mid-green, toothed and waved leaves. The flowers are bell- shaped and 5 cm or more across, they are pale violet with white throats, and are produced from July to September.the flower will become lantern like towards the end of its time, it is a hardy annual that means it will last one season from seed to seed"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicandra_physaloides
Must have been distributed by birds.