Mystery plant

Can anyone help identify this plant please. I had one a couple of years ago that grew to over 6feet high and 4 foot across. It has furry silver green leaves. there are two photos, one is a large plant and one a seedling.

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: plant 3.JPG | |Download:
||Filename: plant 1.JPG | |Download:
jena

In message , jena writes

Does it has spikes of yellow flowers? If so, then one of the Verbascums.

Reply to
Stewart Robert Hinsley

I always call it "Lamb's Ear", in fact just this morning I pulled one out that was growing at the base of one of my trees and was annoying me, unfortunately I didn't get the root so I know it will grow back... they can get kind of huge and they do send of a tall spike of yellow flowers... they look okay in the right place, like in a hedgerow as they are somewhat invasive.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Looks like it might be a Verbascum.... here's the weedy V. thapsus that I spent what felt like a good fraction of my childhood pulling:

Kay Lancaster

In message , Brooklyn1 writes

That's an example of the problem with using vernacular names. Here Lamb's Ear is Stachys byzantina.

Reply to
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Or Stachys lanata...

Reply to