Mystery of slugs & coffee

FamilyNet International Newsgate

-=> Quoting George.com to All I put down some coffee grounds around my broccoli plants. We had a

George, may I ask you this - can you put coffee grounds around any plants, or does it have to be just certain plants?

Cindi

.. Do what you will with this tagline, just don't bother me about it! ___ Blue Wave/386 v2.30 [NR]

FamilyNet Internet Gated Mail

CINDI MARSHALL

"CINDI MARSHALL" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@familynet-international.org...

a good thing.

Reply to
T r a v i s

What's the pH of the soil?

If you'd put a sig delimiter in, I wouldn't mention it, but as it is, it isn't kosher.

Reply to
John McWilliams

I put it around nearly everything. Coffee grounds MAY be slightly acidic, there is debate around that. If acidic at all, very mild I would venture. On really, really acidic soils it will not make them any sweeter bowever it won't likely make them much more acidic either. I use grounds in beds growing a range of vegetables, with roses, shrubs & grass. I have not noticed any draw backs, things continue to grow happily. Long term there may be some sides effects, I ain't been doing it long term so can't comment. If concerned, use them fairly sparingly.

I have experimented using grounds as a growing bed. They work very nicely, mixed with dry dusty dirt, to grow grass seed. The soil I had was real sandy & fine. The grounds helped lock it up and retain water. Grounds are not proving good to grow mustard seed in. I sowed mustard in to small mounds of straight grounds. The seed has germinated but is not growing very well. The stuff sown in to soil alongside is doing well. There may be something in the coffee inhibiting the growth, I suspect however that the grounds are not yet in a form that is synmpathetic to plant growth. I laid it about 4-5 weeks, it hasn't composted yet or formed any decent humus to assist the mustard.

rob

Reply to
George.com