Mysterious flowering tree in my garden

Would some kind soul be able to help identify this flowering tree for me please?

Declan, Botanically challenged, Okazaki, Japan

Reply to
declan_murphy

It looks to me like witch hazel.

Reply to
Jangchub

I think it looks like some kind of cherry tree. Leaves are too pointy for witch hazel, I believe.

Reply to
cb

In article , declan snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says... :) Would some kind soul be able to help identify this flowering tree for :) me please? :) :)

:) Regards Declan, :) Botanically challenged, :) Okazaki, Japan :) :) Guessing a flowering cherry or plum species. You might look up Prunus serrulata a type of flowering cherry..there are several varieties that have slightly different flower looks.

Reply to
Lar

Reply to
Elaine

Those blossoms look like witch hazel to me also. I also seem to remember reading about a pink or red witch hazel somewhere, only it's not actually a Hamamelis, the flower just very much resembles this. Don't have time to power Google now, maybe later if somebody doesn't give it a shot first.

Val

Reply to
Val

Serrulata was one of my earlier guesses, but the leaves and petal structure seem quite different to any images I've been able to find to compare it with. I'll try to post some pics of those leaves that haven't been entirely devoured.

Regards Declan

Reply to
declan_murphy

Hamamelis X intermedia 'Diane'

Is it winter in Japan now?

Reply to
told2b

Stinking hot, humid, middle of summer, beer garden time of year.

Regards Declan

Reply to
declan_murphy

"told2b" expounded:

That is definitely not a Hamamelis, it's some form of a cherry. The leaves are totally wrong, and the color is off for 'Diane'.

Reply to
Ann

In message , declan snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

Try "Prunus persica" in Google, rather than "Prunus persia"

Reply to
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Sorry for confusion. I was trying to answer Val not Declan.

Reply to
told2b