Mysterious flowering tree in my garden

Would some kind soul be able to help identify this flowering tree for me please?
http://www.declan.tv/gardening_misadventures/what_tree_is_this.html
Regards Declan, Botanically challenged, Okazaki, Japan
On 14 Aug 2006 21:44:45 -0700, declan snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

It looks to me like witch hazel.
I think it looks like some kind of cherry tree. Leaves are too pointy for witch hazel, I believe.

Those blossoms look like witch hazel to me also. I also seem to remember reading about a pink or red witch hazel somewhere, only it's not actually a Hamamelis, the flower just very much resembles this. Don't have time to power Google now, maybe later if somebody doesn't give it a shot first.
Val
Val wrote:

Hamamelis X intermedia 'Diane'
Is it winter in Japan now?
told2b wrote:

Stinking hot, humid, middle of summer, beer garden time of year.
Regards Declan

That is definitely not a Hamamelis, it's some form of a cherry. The leaves are totally wrong, and the color is off for 'Diane'.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Ann wrote:

declan snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says... :) Would some kind soul be able to help identify this flowering tree for :) me please? :) :) http://www.declan.tv/gardening_misadventures/what_tree_is_this.html :) :) Regards Declan, :) Botanically challenged, :) Okazaki, Japan :) :) Guessing a flowering cherry or plum species. You might look up Prunus serrulata a type of flowering cherry..there are several varieties that have slightly different flower looks.
--
Lar

I vote for some kind of cherry tree. Elaine in Ga Zone 7b
says...

Lar wrote:

Serrulata was one of my earlier guesses, but the leaves and petal structure seem quite different to any images I've been able to find to compare it with. I'll try to post some pics of those leaves that haven't been entirely devoured.
Regards Declan
declan snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley