My Tomatoes are red!

My first tomato plants ever (large cherry) which have grown out of their cage and taken over 4 square foot of my square foot garden (but i'm not really complaining) are red. They were pinkish a few days ago. How long till I can pick and eat the little yummy buggers?
If the weather stays warm, maybe a day or two. Incidentally, they're a little tangier when they're just shy of red, which makes them GREAT for making a fresh tomato sauce. Sautee some garlic & onions very slowly with olive oil, until they're almost melting. Toss in a little white wine, some black pepper, some basil or rosemary, and then the halved tomatoes near the end, for maybe 5 minutes. Serve over linguine with some shrimp or slices of grilled chicken breast, or tuna. Throw in some green olives with the tomatoes, if you like them. To die for.

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Doug Kanter wrote:

soon as I clean the drool off my keyboard. teehee
I just happen to HAVE some angel hair, a prolific basil plant, and shrimp. The garlic was getting a bit old so I stuck it in the garden. I have an elephant garlic in there now, wondering if I can use some of the (HUGE) leaves.

Quarter them and sink them in frittata along with some sweet Italian sausage and a solid later of basil leaves & shredded (not grated) Romano cheese under the eggs. Slice into pizza-shape pieces. Drool.........

their
long
On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Doug Kanter wrote:

Just when I got that last bit cleaned up!

My ripe tomatoes are Sweet Chelseas - sweet not tangy. Is there any substitute for white wine which I don't have in the house. I have some cooked Italian sausages I could slice up. I can't wait to do it.
Marilyn in Ohio (who just picked 3 Big Boys this week also)
Try 1/4 teaspoon of white wine vinegar for every three eggs, or red wine instead.

substitute
Eggs??? What was I thinking??? "per cup of sauce" was the intended phrase.

Italian
I'm afraid it's bad news. They didn't last long enough to be put to use in any of my cooking. hehe. YUM!
There were only a few..more on the way tho. The plant has lived up to it's packaging as a "prolific bearer"

i still use it in my cooking, hehe... can u explain more about "prolific bearer"...
On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, mei wrote:

What I meant was they weren't cookable because I ate them before I got them to the front door. ;)
Anyway, it said "prolific bearer" on the package. I bought two plants, put them both in one square of my square foot garden with one tomato cage. The damn things took over about half the garden (4X4 square foot), and upturned the tomato cage, and have I don't know how many branches of tomatoes on them. I have the thing tied down now. Not that I'm really complaining!

use
"prolific bearer"...

I love advertising. Imagine a seed packet with the words "Produces Lousy Yields". :-)
On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Doug Kanter wrote:

hehe. Well in this case it was right! Of course I've never had one before so this could be crap for all I know..