My Spring Garden

Because of the topsy turvy weather I decided to do a bit of experimenting with my spring planting here in Atlanta. Since the seeds in the packets are so plentiful I decided to do some trial planting earlier than recommended. My third planting which took place the first week in March was the first to germinate even though there would be some frost to contend with. I planted Carrots, Beets, Iceburg lettuce, romaine lettuce and bush beans into my raised garden bed. To cope with the occasional frosts, I erected a cloche (mini greenhouse) when needed. Even with the frost, all my vegetables are absolutely thriving and flourishing. The lettuce leaves are eight inches tall and the beets are a foot tall and the beans are showing signs of flowering prior to the production of beans. A second garden was planted in mid April and it is just beginning to show. It goes to show that even with the weather acting strangely it is OK to plant earlier than recommended. I get many of my ideas from articles in:

Good luck, Johnny

Reply to
Johnny