My Raccoon Doesn't Seem To Like Antifreeze

In this State, you're not allowed to trap and transport racs. Anyway, one time in the past using a Haveaheart, the damn dumb cat got trapped. Another time, the rac was able to somehow escape! Two other times I was successful in trapping them and shot them with a .22, but it was a bitch removing the corpses from the traps.
So I marinated a 12 oz. can of cat food in a bowl of antifreeze. Set it out near where the rac has been doing his damage. Next morning, the ground at the site was wet with antifreeze, suggesting that he dumped it, and quite a bit of the cat food remained in the bowl which was tossed about 20 yds. away.
Do you know whether ACDelco Dex-Cool antifreeze contains denatonium which is an embittering agent? The ingredients list doesn't mention it though, so maybe this is simply a rac who doesn't have a sweet tooth for antifreeze. I can only hope that the meat portion that he did eat contained enough antifreeze to prevent his destructive return.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Way Back Jack wrote:

You're not allowed to do it here either but you can trap and kill. Drowning may be better than .22 and from what you say, you may need a bigger Hav-a-hart as I've seen it happen that trap would not completely close on raccoon and he could get out.
You're also taking risks with poison which is generally not allowed and you could kill an animal like someones pet. Ethylene glycol is really not that toxic and it takes quite a bit to kill an animal. A sip or two will not do it.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 09:02:58 -0400, Frank

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/Cliented/antifreeze.aspx
Antifreeze Poisoning
(...)
Very small amounts of antifreeze can be fatal. If a cat walks through a puddle of antifreeze and then licks its paws, it can ingest enough antifreeze to cause death. About five tablespoons can kill a medium sized dog.
(...)
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Jul 6, 9:15 am, snipped-for-privacy@here.org (Vladimir) wrote:

There is species variability in toxicity but ethylene glycol is not a strong toxin. It's sweetness makes it dangerous but as poisons go, 5 tablespoons is a lot of poison to kill a dog.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 09:02:58 -0400, Frank

These traps were recommended for racs but these two creatures were exceptionally large.

Nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away; not sure if they have pets. Poisoning is not something I relish but don't see any other option.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Jul 6, 9:26 am, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Way Back Jack) wrote:

re: "Anyway, one time in the past using a Haveaheart, the damn dumb cat got trapped"
Is "the damn dumb cat" in danger of eating the poisoned food?
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 06:34:36 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Kept him inside last night.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Jul 6, 9:26 am, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Way Back Jack) wrote:

Don't know about current Hav-a-harts but mine will take a groundhog but not a big raccoon for which they had a bigger trap. I watched the raccoon I was after enter the trap, trip it, and both doors closed but did not latch as he was too big. He must have tripped the trap a half dozen times before I gave up.
If you must poison, I would suggest rat poison mixed with peanut butter. You can't get in trouble trying to kill rats with poison.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Actually, we've been doing some research on ethylene glycol in my lab and it's pretty nasty. Small quantities can cause liver and kidney failure, along with permanent brain damage. A fast search on PubMed or Medline will bring up dozens of articles, including some from veterinary journals.
Chris
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:
.

Hey Jack, here's a better idea. Why don't you eat the anti-freeze infested cat food, or better yet, just drink the rest of the gallon of anti-freeze. If you manage to survive the hospital run, shoot yourself in the head with the 22. The world will be a better place afterwards.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 12:31:51 -0400, Still Just Me -

The above reply came directly from the mouth of a PETA member !!!
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 12:42:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Way Back Jack) wrote:

Well, maybe the stuff worked after all. No evidence of rac damage from last night.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

How about parking yourself outdoors in a nice chair at night with the .22 and capping the animal without trapping it first? Get yourself a Sure-Fire light, designed for making targets think "What the f&&k??" and stopping just long enough to get nailed.
www.surefire.com
They're ridiculously bright.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Way Back Jack wrote:

Taste it and see. Seriously, just touch a drop to your tongue and then spit it out, it won't hurt you in that quantity.
Mouse bait would be more effective and less likely to poison someone's pet, or use compound 1080 or 1081 and be careful.
Trapping and drowning would be more humane (and should be a dignified way to go for a raccoon since they know how to drown dogs), and a lot safer. HTH
Bob
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snip

snip
So one time a dumb cat got caught in the trap but you would never expect the same cat to eat the poisoned food? How about the neighbors dog?
If it is legal to poison then it is legal to trap.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.