My new friend ...

... came to frolic in the sunshine on a fine autumn day.
http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/j444/HareScott /
I went to try for a closer mug shot but he/she went away into the long grass.
As I say to people who help in my garden " I do all the irrigation, if you see some black pipe in the grass leave it alone and DON'T pick it up."
David
David Hare-Scott wrote:

heh, i kept looking for the end and it kept on going and going and ...
songbird

Gack!!!!! That is a big one! I hate snakes in my garden. We had an Eastern Brown that was turned out to be about 50 inches long earlier in the year. I really hate Tigers and Browns, but can tolerate Red Bellied Blacks a tiny bit more.
Farm1 wrote:

Yep, dinner for four on that one.
I hate snakes in my garden. We had an

Agreed. This fella headed off as soon as I arrived, a brown would be just as likely to sit up and dare me to come closer. For the furriners, the Eastern Brown snake is a seriously dangerous snake as it combines highly toxic venom, the ability to deliver it and aggressive attitude.
David Hare-Scott wrote:

They are venomous but not particularly cantankerous.(I have pulled their tail to watch the expression on my offsiders face)

No poisonous snakes in my part of the US but I often see black snakes as big as this. My wife is deathly afraid of all snakes so I relocate them in woods a block away across a road. Have caught a few in deer netting where they get so tangled up that I have to cut them free.
Frank wrote:

This is not your US "black snake" but from Oz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-bellied_Black_Snake
Not an especially dangerous snake but a strike will put you in hospital feeling very ill while they give you antivenine. This is likely to spoil your day.
David

Given that Red bellied Blacks are venomous enough to kill your child, grandchild or dog, that would really spoil one's day.