My Melia Azedarach trees are topping out too soon.

I have planted a row of these and I want them to grow upwards a bit more before they form their characteristic umbrella shape.
Should I cut out some of the branching stems at the top to encourage further upwards growth, and if so should thee be the inner or outer ones?
I need to know quickly because spring is coming.
Please help, Peter