My intro and some questions

Hello all, I am new to this group, and a novice at gardening. I live on Long Island, NY (not sure of what "zone" that is). Anyway, my question is about the Butterfly Bush(buddleia). I bought a small one at my local nursery as a colorful addition to my back yard. The guy at the nursery wasn't too helpful about how to plant it, so I sort of winged it. Anyway, it's in the ground now, in a very sunny spot.. My questions are, does it need watering regularly? Am I supposed to keep the soil around it moist? What kind of routine care does it need? Sorry if these are silly questions, but am very new to this. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Darren

Reply to
Darren

No basis for this info just what I did/do for awhile.

New plant any type water each day for a week.

Week 2 every other day

Week 3 twice a week.

week 4 once a week.

I don¹t kill off too many but I do kill some. I feel the best info for growing plants in your area resides in your neighbors.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Sound advice and very much like what I do with the same results. Once in a while you lose one and "It's sad, its so sad. It's a sad, sad situation" (credit to Elton/ Bernie on the final words)

Charlie, listening to Joe Weed - "Waltz Of The Whippoorwill" from album of same name

Reply to
Charlie

Just water enough to moisten the roots in the upper four inches. The biggest problem during drought is over watering.

Reply to
symplastless

Drought? On Long Island? Interesting. Anyway, to answer properly, Long Island has mostly sandy loam and drains very well. Plant butterfly bush in full sun and water it occasionally when the soil is dry. Once established this shrub is very drought tolerant up on Long Island which ranges between USDA Zones 6a and 7a. Some of the most beautiful butterfly bushes I've seen are on Long Island. Lake Ronkonkoma in particular.

Reply to
Jangchub