My Garden Game Plan For This Year

The vegetable bed will be fifty feet long and three and a half feet wide. It's located in my back yard which is sod right now. I'm going to remove the sod by hand and then double dig the entire bed with with a spade and will use a spading fork to loosen up the sub soil which is clay. While doing this, I'll amend the bed with compost and leaf mold. Next, I plan to use my Mantis tiller and only till the top five to six inches of soil. I'll then be adding about eight pounds of a slow release granular all purpose fertilizer and use a garden rake to spread it into the soil three inched deep. I worked up my entire garden plan on paper so I know where each plant will be as well as the spacing. Since I'm going to use soaker hoses, I'll run them next. They will be eighteen inches apart down the center of the bed. Since I want to try intense gardening this year, I'll be planting three rows of different veggies in this bed. Only thing to do now is get busy with this project as soon as the weather breaks. I have asparagus crowns and Copra storage onion sets that will be here around the middle of April. My tomatoes, eggplants, peppers and ground cherries will all be started indoors from seed under grow lights April 1. Don't know how it's going to all work out but I'm going to give Hale's Best cantaloupes a try too! Later in the season I also have some purple cauliflower and two different kinds of turnips as my fall crops. Wish me luck, I may need it but we never know until we experiment a bit :)
Rich
On 3/1/10 9:18 AM, EVP MAN wrote:

When you double-spit the area, make sure you incorporate bone meal or superphosphate into the LOWER level. Plants such as tomatoes, corn, and asparagus have very deep roots. They will need the phosphorus to be equally deep.
When you buy the granular fertilizer, ignore its phosphorus content. Mixed into the top 3 inches, the phosphorus will benefit only seedlings and perhaps raddishes. Even carrots will grow longer than three inches.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean