My first post

Page 1 of 2
Hi guys,
Bought my first house and spent a few quid getting the garden sorted which included levelling out the lawn and returfing it.
At first, the grass looked great but, a month later or so, there was the odd weed popping up. 3 Months on and there's weeds coming through everywhere, and now there even mushrooms growing. I've been cutting it about every two weeks...
What should I do to try to sort it?
Thanks in advance Inchy
--
inchy

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 23:02:38 +0100, inchy

Mushrooms are a good sign the soil has fungi. They are the fruiting bodies of fungi, so mushrooms/good.
One thing to do with weeds in the turf is to keep it mowed fast enough so no weed goes to seed. Unfortunately, when you disturb the soil by leveling, it awakens seeds which may have been laying there for a good, long while. Keep them mowed. You may want to do a search on corn gluten meal. It is a natural fraction of the corn which causes a fungi in the soil (again good) which stops seeds from germination. It works very well if you apply it as suggested.
Good for you on the new home.
'Jangchub[_2_ Wrote:

Good, because now there are loads of them, probably about 80 in a 5m x 7m area...
Not too happy about the kids playing on the grass though, would a "weed and feed" type product kill them off?
--
inchy

It's gotta be BSE:o( What part of healthy didn't you understand?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

if the kids are stupid enough to be putting things in their mouths without asking if they are edible, there's a bigger problem than a few mushrooms in the lawn.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
enigma;802728 Wrote:

Thanks for that constructive comment you tosser. Kids are kids, they do random stuff like that. Like a 2 yr old is going to ask permission... I pity your kids, sounds like they have to ask permission to breathe.
Thanks for the other comments guys - I'll just try to mow it more often and see how it goes.
--
inchy

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Two year olds need constant attention to insure that they don't do dumb shit. Pay attention to your toddler and don't allow them to be in unsafe and questionable areas.

Heh heh, not bloody likely. I would hazard a guess that lee paid attention and taught her children well.

And pay attention to your children.
CHarlie
'Charlie[_2_ Wrote:

*ensure* - pay attention to your dictionary
Unsafe areas? A garden lawn shouldnt be an unsafe area, hence why I came on this website in the first place - to ask how I can get rid of them.
--
inchy

Well, let it be said that Alex and Ed gave you the toxic or, Monsanto approach to poisoning your environment. Pat gave the best advice on the problem you requested to solve. The rest of us gave you shit because of an apparent lack of interest in the subject you were trying to correct. Hopefully if your car's motor was making an odd clicking sound and you asked strangers hoe to fix it, you wouldn't accept the suggestion of pouring sawdust into the crankcase without checking the reasonableness of the assertion.
Not all ecological damage is done out of malice. Most of it is done by thoughtlessness. Hopefully, the next yard project you have, you will know that your actions have consequences. Working with nature, you won't have those cans of poison lying around the house for your toddlers to get into. Get the mushrooms identified. They are probably harmless.
Sorry for the rough treatment, but sometimes you have to hit a jack-ass between the eyes with a 2 x 4 to get its' attention ;o)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Charlie wrote in wrote:

two year olds can understand "don't put that in your mouth" or "don't eat those". for the most part, a two year old shouldn't be unattended anyway, so, since an adult would be present, they could steer the child away from the mushrooms if needed. personally, i'd rather teach a two year old not to eat mushrooms than poison the lawn so it's unsafe for a child to play there.

exactly. my kid has a brain. he doesn't put things he finds into his mouth without asking me if they are edible or not. when he was two, we had a simplified version called 'people food, bird food'. i would point to the lovely bright red berries on the daphne (very poisonous) & say "bird food". i'd show him wild black raspberries & say "people food". he's almost 8 & asks if he encounters something unfamiliar (currents & mulberries recently, since neither grows here). he has a good working knowledge of what local wild plants are edible & what might look good, but isn't. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Maybe you should try some, to make sure they are all right. We might save the soil yet :o))
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

The point is inchy is that you are trying to fix something you don't understand. Much of the soil on this planet has been killed or damaged by thoughtless people who were just reading the application instructions and had no idea about the consequences of their actions. Mushrooms and fungi breakdown dead material (otherwise we'ed be up to our armpits in the stuff) into products that are nutrients to other plants. Work with the mushrooms. Your best advice came from Pat Kiewicz. "If you are only mowing every two weeks, you very likely aren't mowing often enough and are mowing it too short when you finally do mow, stressing the turf and opening it up to weeds. You have to let the turf set the mowing schedule, if you want it to looks its best.
Mow at your mower's highest setting and mow often enough that the new growth you remove is 1/3 or less of the set height. So if your set height is 3 inches (not an unreasonable height for cool season grasses in the summer) your clippings should be no longer than 1 inch. And, ideally, the clippings are left on the grass.
And be sure to keep those mowing blades sharp.
The straight line difference between my lawn and my neighbor's lawn isn't due to the difference in watering or fertilizing. My sprinklers (hardly used this year) and broadcast spreader just are't that accurate. It's all down to mowing. I mow tall, as often as needed (sometimes twice a week) and he mows short, every couple of weeks.
Yes, I do a lot of mowing, but it's pretty good exercise--I substitute it for one of my normal work-outs. And I use a smallish cordless electric mower, so it's a lot of walking back and forth. "
So you can work with nature for the health of the planet or you can be dependent on fossil fuels in the form of biocides and make Monsanto happy.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Rewrite
The point is inchy is that you are trying to fix something you don't understand. Much of the soil on this planet has been killed or damaged by thoughtless people who were just reading the application instructions and had no idea about the consequences of their actions.
"Bacteria" and fungi breakdown dead material (otherwise we'ed be up to our armpits in the stuff) into products that are nutrients to other plants. Work with the mushrooms.
[...]

Fookin' gardenbanter posts are as fookin' dumb as google posts.
Shit man, why you gotta play with the idiots, not countin' me, of course.
Gawddamned idiots and their poisons and dumb fookin' ideas.
Krusty Charlie

Yes, I think you could kill off all the children by using weed and feed and/or weed killer!
Emilie
On 30/06/08 23:02, inchy wrote:

Use weed killer. There are loads of brands you can use on lawns.
Ed
inchy said:

[...]

After enlightenment, the laundry.
On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 06:53:32 -0400, Pat Kiewicz

Great book by Jack Kornfield! Have you read it?
Jangchub said:

No, I swiped it from The Little Book of Zen.
It struck me as simply but profoundly true.

After enlightenment, the laundry.