My Easter lilies

Every year I plant our spent Easter lilies, and they never fail to bloom--in late summer or early fall, not spring, according to conventional garden wisdom. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm in the California Central Valley. My lilies are in a bed that has heavy soil, poor drainage and very little sun. I can't recall whether they bloom the following fall or the year after. See

HH