my calla lilies are doing something STRANGE!!

i'm not a gardener by any means. i bought some young garnet colored calla lilies for my garden, however, and they did well. the blooms have fallen off and the plants have survived well even with the heat. now in some of the leaves, there are clusters of green balls, kinda look like huge corn kernals, and it's kinda disturbing because i've never seen anything like this before. are they bulbs? or what? and what do i do with them? one lily has two "leaves" that are doing this, and the other only has one "leaf" that is doing this. if y ou want a picture i can try to take one and email it to you.

thanks in advance for your help,

nikky

Reply to
mrsiscott

This is a cop of seeds. The cob-like set of seeds can conceivably remain in the garden ripening even after the leaves die back. But unless you want to attempt to grow calla lilies from seed, it is best to cut them off, as the parent plant will next year be larger &amp healthier with more flowers if it does not expend its energy on seeds.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

wow, thanks! so it's trying to make baby callas. interesting. so if i cut them off, i just throw the seeds away? or attempt to grow them?

thanks again!

Reply to
mrsiscott

They are not difficult to grow from seed.

If you do grow them from seed, the resulting plants will probably have different colored spaths.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

I had callas when I was first married to my ex, he thought the things were parasites!! He was afraid some kinda alien would burst out.

Reply to
nina

No wonder the dim dude is now your ex. A real expert on sex he must have been.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

lol, that's funny! okay, i didn't think there would be aliens or anything, but i did get the crawlies when i saw them at first. i'm going to attempt to grow them, this should be fun! thanks!!

nikky

Reply to
mrsiscott