my ant problem

A few weeks ago I got some helpful assistance in this group as I looked for new bait poisons for eliminating my kitchen ants. In past years, poisoning the ants had resulted in the ants going away for about a year. This time, the same poison failed. I tried every ant bait in my local store, and then I ordered a few recommended on this group. Alas, they all failed. Most of the baits were of no interest to the ants. One of the poisons, called Terro, was devoured by a large column of ants. The ants ate most of the contents of 6 canisters of the poison. The ants kept coming.

I finally gave up and changed strategies. I bought a gallon bottle of ant poison with a plastic hand operated sprayer. I sprayed the entire perimeter of the house. The ants were coming in from the roof, so I also clipped off the branches of a tree that was touching the roof. Lastly, I sprayed the edges of the roof all the way around. THE ANTS ARE GONE. They have been completely stopped for over a week.

Reply to
Cubit

I place 1/2 aoz of Oil of pennyroyal on the sill of house in various location. Doesn't kill ant's just hate the smell. I also mix boric acid powder with 10 X sugar and place 4 2 oz. containers about in my basement once again on the sill. Once every two years.

Anyone gets by this gets a touch of Pyrethrin.. 1600 x-clude Toxic to fish and Birds and I would consider it last resort. A little goes along way. A touch = 5 second spray. My current pray is 4 years old and I think it will last another 6. Net weight was 1lb 4 oz.

This for carpenter ants and remember to starve the little guys who are just trying to clean up. ;))

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

In article , snipped-for-privacy@not.not says... :) I finally gave up and changed strategies. I bought a gallon bottle of ant :) poison with a plastic hand operated sprayer. I sprayed the entire perimeter :) of the house. The ants were coming in from the roof, so I also clipped off :) the branches of a tree that was touching the roof. Lastly, I sprayed the :) edges of the roof all the way around. THE ANTS ARE GONE. They have been :) completely stopped for over a week. :) :) Chances are you have just deverted the ants out of your sight...if they were eating the baits..no matter which one..the ants will be dying, better yet, killing out the colony. Depending on the product you used may determine how long it seems to work for you. Some give a few days repellency, others may give a months worth.

Reply to
Lar

Think he used this stuff.

memory serves me correctly, he's in san jose, ca. In the late summer, early fall, the argentina ants invade homes. It's also really difficult to kill one of their colonies, because they can easily have multiple queens in a single colony.

-S

Reply to
Snooze

We use a comercial ant bate for fire ants, but for in my home, if I see a line of them coming in, i just spray them lightly with 409 cleaner. It is a bit toxic so shoudn't be used around food, but I've never had a problem with it just spraying the ant path.. and..voila!.. no problem with ants. g. Lee

Reply to
tvksi

In article , snipped-for-privacy@avoidant.org says... :) "Lar" wrote in message :) news: snipped-for-privacy@netnews.comcast.net... :) > In article , snipped-for-privacy@not.not :) > says... :) > :) I finally gave up and changed strategies. I bought a gallon bottle of :) > ant :) > :) poison with a plastic hand operated sprayer. I sprayed the entire :) > perimeter :) > :) of the house. The ants were coming in from the roof, so I also :) > clipped off :) > :) the branches of a tree that was touching the roof. Lastly, I sprayed :) > the :) > :) edges of the roof all the way around. THE ANTS ARE GONE. They have :) > been :) > :) completely stopped for over a week. :) > :) :) > :) :) > Chances are you have just deverted the ants out of your sight...if they :) > were eating the baits..no matter which one..the ants will be dying, :) > better yet, killing out the colony. Depending on the product you used :) > may determine how long it seems to work for you. Some give a few days :) > repellency, others may give a months worth. :) :) Think he used this stuff. :)

:) If memory serves me correctly, he's in san jose, ca. In the late summer, :) early fall, the argentina ants invade homes. It's also really difficult to :) kill one of their colonies, because they can easily have multiple queens in :) a single colony. :) :) -S The active in that is boric acid, so as long as they feed on it it will slowly kill the ants...in large colony ants like argentine, a build up of BA can cause then to split the colony due to its repellency so it's not always the best to use at times, but as long as they are eating it...

Reply to
Lar