Mushy Peaches

I have two peach trees in my backyard here in Las Vegas, NV. One of them had its fruit ripen earlier than the other and had no fruit quality problems. My second and bigger peach tree is now getting ripe fruit. This fruit is bigger. However, about 60 percent of the fruit is rotten. I estimate about 60 percent of the fruit is affected. There are various sized external "rot holes or just surface indications of it being rotten. The fruit is soft and very mushy inside and is an off color inside. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

Jerry

Here is a link to pictures of some bad peaches of this tree:

do not spam

Could also be anthracnose...

brown rot...

TQ

TQ,

The second link describes my problem tree well and believe that is what is happening with my tree.. I doubt it is sun burn as it is happening to peaches well shaded all day. Thanks for the links - I'll take it the precautions the link suggested.

Jerry J

Reply to
do not spam

It's one of the prime reasons why peaches are so difficult to raise in our humid climate without a spray regimen. Did you have some rain when or before these peaches began ripening? Anyway, my early peaches that ripened during a dry spell, at least those the squirrels didn't get, had no brown rot, but a few of my later peaches that started ripening during a rain spell did. Check this site:

type in "peach brown rot" in a Google search.

John

Reply to
B & J

In Las Vegas????

Reply to
Steve

Did not have rain until the last day or two - but the infection was evident before this. Did have an unusually wet February here. That was when the trees started budding and blossoming. From the link you sent it is obvious it is brown rot.

Reply to
do not spam

peaches/nectarines.

BTW, Steve, did you check out the pictures he sent and those on the web site I suggested? I don't know what it's called in Las Vesgas or where you live, but it still looks like the brown rot where I live. It does seem a bit strange that it appear on peaches in Las Vegas, which is why I asked about recent rain. Evidently there wasn't any rain recently, but according to Jerry there was an unusually wet spring and under such circumstances a regular spraying program to prevent brown rot is required as soon as the peaches set. IMHO, raising peaches is a big pain. Apples or pears are far easier.

John

Reply to
B & J

This is when a good maintainance program pays off, be sure and pick up all debris, mow and bag, but don't recycle it, it will contain loads of spoors. In your climate, that's probably enough as I would imagine that wet springs are rare there.

susan

do not spam wrote:

Reply to
Susan K. Wehe