Mushy Peaches

I have two peach trees in my backyard here in Las Vegas, NV. One of them had its fruit ripen earlier than the other and had no fruit quality problems. My second and bigger peach tree is now getting ripe fruit. This fruit is bigger. However, about 60 percent of the fruit is rotten. I estimate about 60 percent of the fruit is affected. There are various sized external "rot holes or just surface indications of it being rotten. The fruit is soft and very mushy inside and is an off color inside. Any ideas as to what is causing this?
Jerry
Here is a link to pictures of some bad peaches of this tree:
http://members.cox.net/jcjacques/peach/badpeach.html
| I have two peach trees in my backyard here in Las Vegas, NV. One of them | had its fruit ripen earlier than the other and had no fruit quality | problems. My second and bigger peach tree is now getting ripe fruit. | This fruit is bigger. However, about 60 percent of the fruit is rotten. | I estimate about 60 percent of the fruit is affected. There are | various sized external "rot holes or just surface indications of it | being rotten. The fruit is soft and very mushy inside and is an off | color inside. Any ideas as to what is causing this? | | Jerry | | Here is a link to pictures of some bad peaches of this tree: | | http://members.cox.net/jcjacques/peach/badpeach.html |
Is the damage on the same side of every fruit? If so, does this side face south? The damage could be sun scald.
Could also be anthracnose... http://tfpg.cas.psu.edu/part2/part22aa.htm
..or brown rot... http://tfpg.cas.psu.edu/part2/part22am.htm
--
TQ

TQ wrote:

TQ,
The second link describes my problem tree well and believe that is what is happening with my tree.. I doubt it is sun burn as it is happening to peaches well shaded all day. Thanks for the links - I'll take it the precautions the link suggested.
Jerry J

Your peaches have brown rot, a common fungal disease of peaches/nectarines. It's one of the prime reasons why peaches are so difficult to raise in our humid climate without a spray regimen. Did you have some rain when or before these peaches began ripening? Anyway, my early peaches that ripened during a dry spell, at least those the squirrels didn't get, had no brown rot, but a few of my later peaches that started ripening during a rain spell did. Check this site:
http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/disease_descriptions/ombrownr.html
or type in "peach brown rot" in a Google search.
John
B & J wrote:

In Las Vegas????

I suggested? I don't know what it's called in Las Vesgas or where you live, but it still looks like the brown rot where I live. <G> It does seem a bit strange that it appear on peaches in Las Vegas, which is why I asked about recent rain. Evidently there wasn't any rain recently, but according to Jerry there was an unusually wet spring and under such circumstances a regular spraying program to prevent brown rot is required as soon as the peaches set. IMHO, raising peaches is a big pain. Apples or pears are far easier.
John
B & J wrote:

evident before this. Did have an unusually wet February here. That was when the trees started budding and blossoming. From the link you sent it is obvious it is brown rot.
This is when a good maintainance program pays off, be sure and pick up all debris, mow and bag, but don't recycle it, it will contain loads of spoors. In your climate, that's probably enough as I would imagine that wet springs are rare there.
susan
do not spam wrote:

Yes, that is also what the links recommended. Sounds reasonable to me.