Mushrooms in new sod

I just had my backyard redone and I am attempting to do some gardening (I l ive in the SF Bay Area). I hope to be able to get some help in this group. I had a small patch of grass put down in my cat enclosure for the cats to go out and play in. If you have cats, you know that they chew on grass. A few days ago several mushrooms sprung up in the grass. I am afraid these may be poisonous and obviously a danger for the cats. I have done some re search on the web on mushrooms in new sod and found a lot of info, but nowh ere it states whether these mushrooms are poisonous or not. They look like the ones in the picture here:

awns-health/ I wonder if anyone in this group may know. Thank you in advance!

CL

Reply to
SSF94080

To be safe, I would remove the visible parts of the mushrooms. You might have to do this more than once.

What is underground is actually the main part of the fungus. To permanently remove the main part, buy a small amount of soil sulfur at a local nursery or hardware store. You should be able to buy a small bag or a box the size of a cereal box. Scatter a handful sulfur in the area where you saw the mushrooms and lightly water it to rinse it off of the grass leaves.

Sulfur is a natural fungicide. Soil bacteria will very gradually convert it into sulfuric acid, which should kill the underground fungus without damaging desirable plants.

Can you really use enough water to get a new lawn established without being penalized by your local water agency?

Reply to
David E. Ross

Typically animals know not to eat fungi and poisonous plants but still I would remove those mushrooms so they are not accidently ingested as cats tend to play with things they find and then may ingest bits as they clean themselves. The parts you see are only the fruiting bodies, the vast majority of mushrooms are underground, their mycilian are the largest living organisms on the planet, so you cannot eradicate them. This may help you identify them:

Brooklyn1

Sorry for the incorrect spelling:

Brooklyn1

live in the SF Bay Area). I hope to be able to get some help in this grou p. I had a small patch of grass put down in my cat enclosure for the cats to go out and play in. If you have cats, you know that they chew on grass. A few days ago several mushrooms sprung up in the grass. I am afraid the se may be poisonous and obviously a danger for the cats. I have done some research on the web on mushrooms in new sod and found a lot of info, but no where it states whether these mushrooms are poisonous or not. They look li ke the ones in the picture here:

-lawns-health/

The photo you referred to appears to be in either the genus of Coprinus or Panolus. Many of the Coprinus species are edible for humans (unless they ha ve been drinking alcohol), Panolus species may or may not be psychoactive f or humans. Guidebooks list them as poisonous because of this. All this bein g said it doesn't mean that these particular mushrooms are poisonous to cat s. Have a look here

p for more info. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek