Mushroom soil problems?

1) I got a load of what was supposed to be composted mushroom soil. It's light and airy, but deeper in the pile it smells real bad. (anaerobic composting?)
2) I planted a few flowers using most all the mushroom soil to replace the very heavy clay I dug out.
3) After a couple months, most of these plants are dead or dieing.
So..........
Was I wrong to use almost 100% mushroom soil and the nitrogen is burning the roots?
Is the soil not true mushroom soil and isn't finished decomposing? Again too much nitrogen?
Note: I have not had a single stray mushroom grow out of the pile of soil (about 5' round and 3' tall).
Other?
At best you would till a maximum of 6 inches of this mushroom compost into the soil a few weeks before planting. Less would be smarter. It is a soil AMMENDMENT not a growing medium. In addition to being a bit too rich in nitrogen it goes through some wide swings in pH.
On 5/25/10 9:08 AM, Tony wrote:

Always till compost or other amendments into the native soil. Never merely replace native soil with the compost.
Mere replacement leaves an interface between the compost and the soil beneath it. That interface often becomes a barrier that roots will not cross. Often, water will not cross it either, resulting in a bog in the compost.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
On 5/25/2010 12:08 PM, Tony wrote:

Mushroom soil is compost that has been used to grow mushrooms. It is deplete of nutrients for the mushrooms which is why it is displaced by new compost and sold as soil amendment. It can also be full of unsprouted weed seeds. There are a lot of mushroom houses around here and mushroom soil is fairly cheap and usually people buy and spread an inch or two on their lawns as an amendment. It's not used neat.
Been a long time since I've bought any and following url says it is sterilized:

Tony wrote:

I thought I replied last night but I don't see it. Just a "thank you" for the info. I better get out there and replant this stuff before it's all dead.
Thanks again, Tony

Mushroom compost can be 100% horse manure. That is too strong for most plants to survive. The area you used the mushroom compost should be ready for 2011 spring planting. Or, remove the "soil," set it aside for next year, and replace the area with topsoil.